• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Can't help but worry about one snapped feather

dollfish

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Astro is moulting. Today she was preening on my knee when I saw some threads of fluff in her mouth, detached from the actual ball of fluff. And then moments later she had an actual snapped feather in her mouth.

Now we do play very rough on my carpet and it definitely isn't soft. I roll her backwards and do a lot of rough and tumble play and have been doing a lot lately. I wonder if it just broke during one of our many daily sessions of rolling around on the carpet.

At the same time I can't stop thinking maybe she bit it off? Because she has about 5 feathers on her crop that are badly damaged with just the shaft remaining. I noticed this when she was about 7 months old and took her to the vet and she had a slight bacterial infection but other than that, she was healthy. I know a lot of you say that a bird so young cannot have behavioral plucking / barbering issues but this does seem to be the case with Astro if it wasn't the infection. She also has some roughed up feathers just above her right leg where she has a weak tendon. The vet said it would strenghten up with age and it did.

Even though she's moulting, she seems to be very gentle with her feathers and never seems to obsess on one area. In fact, she doesn't even bother removing the pin feather layers most of the time and her new feathers stay that way for weeks.

Should I be worried about this feather?

16000235472824097142107148723668.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Hey sorry guys I realised I was here with the same questions not so long ago. You can disregard everything else and just look at the snapped feather.

:wacky:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@dollfish As there was no responses, I have changed the text as per the PM :)

Also, I have no idea about the feather. Wish I could help more, but I do not know.

Ulis_Beast

Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
Ok. I'll lend you Loki for a week or two. :roflmao:
You'll learn in between the crashes, broken feathers and the blood ones, the stress marks on the new ones and the still missing entire left wing and the really roughed up feathears all over his body that you really shouldn't worry as much about Astro. ;)
(Though I totally relate, as I have a panic attack everytime something feather realated happens and it isn't a normally dropped feather)

I really don't think Astro is self-mutilating in any way.
The shaft looks broken, rather than chewed (looks messy, not a clean cut)
That's part of a tail feather, which snap easily on the cage bars as well.
Loki regurally roughs them up when he plays with his toys (hanging upside-down on a single bead, screaming bloody murder and flapping and swinging).

You say she's going through a molt and by the colour it's a baby feather so the problem should fix itself soon enough.

I believe you feed her the best possible diet and apart from adding quinoa and egg in moderation for additional protein during moults.. this is just something that happens.:)

Ulis_Beast

Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
20200914_113317.jpg
From left to right:
- a chewed on broken feather, it bothered him as it stuck out at a wierd angle for some time
- a snaped tail feather ( similar to yours)
- a broken newly grown flight :sad3::sad2:, blood still in the shaft,
- a chewed on shaft, leftower from the butchered flights on the left wings, dropped 3 days ago...

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Ok. I'll lend you Loki for a week or two. :roflmao:
You'll learn in between the crashes, broken feathers and the blood ones, the stress marks on the new ones and the still missing entire left wing and the really roughed up feathears all over his body that you really shouldn't worry as much about Astro. ;)
(Though I totally relate, as I have a panic attack everytime something feather realated happens and it isn't a normally dropped feather)

I really don't think Astro is self-mutilating in any way.
The shaft looks broken, rather than chewed (looks messy, not a clean cut)
That's part of a tail feather, which snap easily on the cage bars as well.
Loki regurally roughs them up when he plays with his toys (hanging upside-down on a single bead, screaming bloody murder and flapping and swinging).

You say she's going through a molt and by the colour it's a baby feather so the problem should fix itself soon enough.

I believe you feed her the best possible diet and apart from adding quinoa and egg in moderation for additional protein during moults.. this is just something that happens.:)
I'd love to see more photos of your beauty itself too! I'm happy she dropped the clipped one, might have been bothering Loki. I guess the stress marks as can be seen on Loki's ones as well, contribute to snapping by creating weak spots. I reeeally have been rolling Astro on the floor a lot lately. She loves to have her tummy tickled and goes on the floor and lifts one foot and drops herself on her back without me even initiating just so I come and start our rough and tumble session woth fake bites. (*^▽^*)

I guess I get obsessive thoughts, especially about Astro when things get stressful in life. Thank you ulis_beastcim for all the information you shared, it has been comforting.

I'm sure Loki will replace the flight in time. You sure are giving your bird the best support!
:smileflower:

Ulis_Beast

Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
I'm sure Loki will replace the flight in time. You sure are giving your bird the best support!
I'm happy she dropped the clipped one, might have been bothering Loki.
It was a simmetrycal drop a few hours after the 2nd on his right wing.
He needs to replace all of them but two:(, the 2nd and 4th flight are currently growing on either side .. The newly grown ones (7 so far, even the ones the vet pulled) keep breaking off as they have no support from the secondaries:(
The ones growing now seem to be a better quality.. I have a plan in place with the vet.. as soon as the molt is over we'll pull the broken ones again.. Hopefully there won't be more than a few..
I just really wish I'll see him fly soon.
You say more pics.. here you go (topic related)
20200908_110540.jpg
HIS NON-EXISTANT LEFT WING, with a couple of secondaries

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
It was a simmetrycal drop a few hours after the 2nd on his right wing.
He needs to replace all of them but two:(, the 2nd and 4th flight are currently growing on either side .. The newly grown ones (7 so far, even the ones the vet pulled) keep breaking off as they have no support from the secondaries:(
The ones growing now seem to be a better quality.. I have a plan in place with the vet.. as soon as the molt is over we'll pull the broken ones again.. Hopefully there won't be more than a few..
I just really wish I'll see him fly soon.
You say more pics.. here you go (topic related)
View attachment 353474
HIS NON-EXISTANT LEFT WING, with a couple of secondaries
Sounds like a good plan. Look at all the fun he's having! Making confetti out of wooden blocks!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Elvis is the king of breaking feathers. It looks like a broken one to me too.