• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Candling Question..

BreezyTiel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erica
To Candle eggs, can I use an LED Flashlight, or even an Iphone light? Which one is better if I don't want to buy an actual candler? Any other things I can use? tips?
I've read a few candling articles online, so I have the basic info. Some say you can use cell phone lights, others say it's not strong enough.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Are you learning how to safely breed as you are actually allowing it to happen?

BreezyTiel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erica
@Shezbug Yes. I actually put the nestbox on again because when we let the pair together to play they mated and my hen laid another egg. 1st egg was two days ago, and she laid another one today. They won't be able to be candled until day 5, but I'm just wondering for when the time comes. Still haven't gotten the DNA results back on my Pied Tiel, (probably taking longer because of the virus) but he's singing in my ear as we speak, and I have a strong feeling he's male.

So Yes, I'm going to attempt breeding, if nothing comes of it it's not a huge loss, I still love my birds. But I'm going to attempt breeding.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
For crying out loud haven't you learned anything about asking breeder questions as long as you are an unknowledgeable, amateur, backyard, shoestring person who wants to have babies?

BreezyTiel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erica
@Hankmacaw There's no rule on this forum that says we can't ask questions about breeding.

"If nothing comes of it it's not a huge loss, I still love my birds. But I'm going to attempt breeding. "

So now back to my question.. will an LED flashlight suffice for candling?

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Yes, the bright flashlight works fine. I candle finch eggs so you may not need to do this but I find it helpful to wrap my hand around the egg so the light shines only thru it, not around it if that makes sense.

Ask questions if you need to, take what you need from the discussion and leave the rest.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
It sounds like you’re doing research, but I do want to warn you there’s a lot between not breeding and “if it doesn’t work out.”

There are babies that have to be hand fed every 2 hours around the clock. There are times when the hen becomes egg bound, especially if she’s not getting extra calcium. If you don’t get vet intervention, she can die.

There are times when all the babies become ill; vet costs will eat you alive.
And there’s the expenses of buying more cages and more food, should the babies make it.

I’m not trying to scare you but this is reality and you need to go into it fully aware. I breed finches and have encountered all this plus more. We never get out of the vet for less than $200 and usually it’s twice that.

Another thing to think about. Are there already cockatiels in rescue where you live? If so, there is an over abundance already. This is why I don’t breed my tiels. Where we are, there’s always a handful at the rescue. So if I were to breed mine, I would be contributing to the problem and maybe knocking some of those (the rescues) out of a chance to have a home.

Just some food for thought ;)

kitsunebandit

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Depending on the species if they're small enough you can use your phone flashlight. Bigger birds seem to be harder to candle but I'm assuming yours would be for cockatiels so you shouldn't have much trouble at all