• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Candles

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
candles don't give off much heat in BTUs, so you'd need dozens of them to affect the temperature of even a small enclosed room
I was wanting a candle for light, not asking for warmth.

If our power is out too long, I bought a power inverter we can hook up to my car's battery to power 1 of our ceramic heaters. If that's not sufficient, we'll just keep the birds on us since they can get heat through their feet.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
We call them flashlights, :laughing4:

Much safer than candles. They make some that are like lights.
They’re called either flashlight or torch here. Some of the older people call them lanterns lol

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
We´ve had the electricity knocked off here, and I used the light from SSBT (the blue ones we got with orders) - it lights up most of the room :)
IMG_20210216_110202.jpg

I have one of those battery candles, but it doesn´t give off much light.

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
For heat I was also thinking stockpiling hand warmers and wrapping them in socks. If the power goes out again in the next storm I am going to be heading to my aunt's who has a generator

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
They’re called either flashlight or torch here. Some of the older people call them lanterns lol
Mom & Dad call them torches & the first time it was mentioned I was mystified & I could not understand what it was as a torch is either a wood stick with fire or a gas torch. Torch just seems so strange but many Aussie words for things are different.
Dad has used lantern too but I think of a lantern as something with a handle.

I still remember the first time I heard a trunk of a car called a boot & then the hood is a bonnet...:lol:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Torch just seems so strange but many Aussie words for things are different.
We also say torch, boot and bonnet in the UK.
The UK, Australia and Canada have lots of words in common :)

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
If our power is out too long, I bought a power inverter we can hook up to my car's battery to power 1 of our ceramic heaters. If that's not sufficient, we'll just keep the birds on us since they can get heat through their feet.
Based on that wording, it sounds like your inverter connects to the accessory/cigarette socket, which is limited to about 200 watts.
Larger inverters need to be hard-wired directly to the battery.

Ceramic space heaters are typically rated at 1500 watts, which would drain most car batteries in 20 minutes (assumed battery has a 100 Amp Hour rating, but it's likely less).
Throttling that down to the 200 watt accessory socket limit (if possible), would drain the battery in 2.5 hours if the car isn't running.

Your home won't lose enough heat in 2 hours to make that necessary, so that means you'll need to run the car's engine to extend the heater's run time.

There are many variables in determining how long a car's engine will run at idle, but to keep the math easy we can use 1 L/hr, so a 50 L tank will run for 50 hours.
A small fuel efficient engine will use less fuel and run longer, while a large displacement engine will use more fuel and run shorter (although the larger displacement engine will also likely have a larger fuel tank to compensate, but.. only if its tank is full).

Lastly, you'll need a long long enough cord to reach the car while it's running safely outside, and a way to route it inside to your heater which doesn't cause your home to lose extra heat (cracking open a window or door).

Disclaimers:

- I'm not an electrical engineer, so the figures may be off, or completely wrong
- I'm a nerd, and was curious about the feasibility of this option, and am simply sharing my though-processes in that exercise.
- BUT, I've conducted numerous disaster recovery tests professionally, and would suggest testing any such solution, before you need to count on it.

Farfah

Walking the driveway
Sending love to all our birds and bird owners impacted by the power outages! Stay warm and safe. Remember, don't run the car with the garage closed.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Larger inverters need to be hard-wired directly to the battery.
That's what we're planning to do. :tup: Bought special cables for it.
Ceramic space heaters are typically rated at 1500 watts
That's what ours are. :)
long long enough cord to reach the car while it's running safely outside
Got one. An extra long, heavy duty, outdoor-rated cord just for the occasion. :yes1:

Hubby and I both topped off our tanks for just this reason. A generator would use about a half to a whole gallon of gas per hour. Even if we could afford a generator and had a place to run it safely, it'd use way more gas than an idling car. Worst case we could just hook it up to the other car if the power wasn't up in a day or so.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Not sure about there in the US but here (Aus) you need to get an electrician to do some work if you plan to run your home on a generator in the event of a power outage otherwise you end up with appliances blown up. Heaps of people where I live now have generators set up ready- no one wants to experience a whole week in summer without power again lol.

I hope everyone there stays safe, warm and cozy.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We had to burn candles and resort to alternative heating methods this past week. By putting Churchill into the basement we kept him safe from fumes. I don’t actually think the house temp drop bothered him at all.

To everyone that’s in the snow and big freeze right now in the central and southern US, fingers crossed it’s almost over for you guys. We are in northern Rockies and it was a balmy 7 degrees today!! Over 30 degrees warmer than what it has been, without wind chill, and that warm air is leaving us and heading directly to you according to the meteorological forecast. And, it’ll be even warmer once it gets to you guys!

Scorpi0

Sprinting down the street
Not sure about there in the US but here (Aus) you need to get an electrician to do some work if you plan to run your home on a generator in the event of a power outage otherwise you end up with appliances blown up. Heaps of people where I live now have generators set up ready- no one wants to experience a whole week in summer without power again lol.

I hope everyone there stays safe, warm and cozy.
I have a portable gas-powered generator , a portable heater, and a portable A/C unit for my birds in case of emergencies. I’m in LA though and our power rarely goes out…but I’d rather be prepared if I ever need it. The winters arent bad here…lowest it gets in my area is mid 30’s. But in the summer it can get up to about 115°…so I definitely need a backup source of AC if the power goes out.

Rebel

Ooh! I'm interested to hear this too! I also have scented candles (I don't burn them because of my little budgies) but I have them on display with their lids on. Pretty much only so the people who had given them to me see them on display! If its no good I'll remove.
Personally i wouldnt care who got offended if i even remotely thought they were a hazard to my birds.

Rebel

I have a portable gas-powered generator , a portable heater, and a portable A/C unit for my birds in case of emergencies. I’m in LA though and our power rarely goes out…but I’d rather be prepared if I ever need it. The winters arent bad here…lowest it gets in my area is mid 30’s. But in the summer it can get up to about 115°…so I definitely need a backup source of AC if the power goes out.
Im with you . I live in PA. Gets pretty cold at times.I have a propane standby generator and a portable gas generator as backup. I heat with coal (cheapest way to go) . I have a propane furnace as backup and electric baseboard heat as a secondary backup. A little extreme? Maybe , but im not get caught with my pants down, so to speak.