• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Canary with stool stuck

LemonMan

Checking out the neighborhood
As the title suggests, I've had 2 canaries (M/F) who's been in my care for a year. Sadly one of them passed some time ago (M) and as a result of this I've been even more paranoid and cautious with my other canary (F). I've noticed that her stool has gotten stuck around her anus and some of the feathers surrounding it, the stool is somewhat a mix of yellow/brown, a mustard tone. I am not sure if this is something to worry about. Attached you can find pictures of this.

PS. I have been trying to convert her over to pellets the past few days, not sure if this might have something to do with it, highly doubt it but thought I'd mention it regardless.

Attachments

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
This is something to worry about unfortunately. You are going to need to see an avian veterinarian as soon as you can. This can be an infection or possibly egg binding.

I would let her have her seeds until her health is back to normal with veterinarian help.

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
I'd definitely schedule a vet visit :tup:

LemonMan

I'd definitely schedule a vet visit :tup:
This is something to worry about unfortunately. You are going to need to see an avian veterinarian as soon as you can. This can be an infection or possibly egg binding.

I would let her have her seeds until her health is back to normal with veterinarian help.

Thanks for the quick reply guys
Been trying to get in touch with a local vet but he's out of office till Monday, what should I do till then?
I change her food and water daily and disinfect her cage weekly so I don't think that's an issue but is there any way to help ease her pain?

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
How is she doing?

LemonMan

She's doing better now, stool looks normal no longer yellow but it's still getting baked into her feathers

LemonMan

I know this thread is a bit old but wanted to keep anyone viewing it updated.

So I couldn't take my canary to a vet sadly as there none with open spots near me at the time, so I took her to a local bird shop and he told me it's most likely salmonella rather than an egg binding, cause if it was she'd have already died from shock, according to him.
He told me to give her just "skalora" (Not sure the exact word for this in English) as food in the meantime and gave me a sachet that hits all digestive sicknesses, which is typically used on pigeons but knowing that he's been caring for finches of all sorts for more than 15+ years, I took the medication and his advice.
Seeing as it was meant for pigeons he told me to just mix a "knife's tip" amount into a few ml of water.
The sachet is called "CESTAMICIN PLUS".

I gave her a course of this medication for a week or so, still not better, I gave it to her for another week, and then I started seeing signs of healing...
Long story short, I ended up giving her this medicine for a month and a week, had to remove the baked stool with some tweezers by agitated the stool and spraying water on it.

She's much better now, signing everyday, no more baked stool and put her back on her normal diet, going to give a deep clean to her cage today as I didn't want to stress her out more than she already was.
Thanks everyone for the replies and hope this helps someone, have a good day! :)

Attachments