• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Canary wing/Brotogeris parrot personality?

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
I just read a little about the canary-wing parakeet, and they sound exactly what I'm looking for, from what I can tell. If anyone with more experience than me could add to the little list of pros and cons that I've made, that would be great! Thanks!

Pros:
Adventurous
Affectionate
Inquisitive
Active

Cons:
Bold (could be a pro or con)
Accident-prone

I'm especially interested in the canary-wing, but really if anyone has any info on any
Brotogeris species, I'd love any insight! Thanks!

Cat The Great

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Caitlyn
Hi Featheredfuffs! I own a canary-wing named Georgie and she is great. Here is the pro and con list that I came up with. Pros:
Very sweet
Affectionate
Very hands on
Loves attention
Is happy to go to anyone.
Usually very quiet

Cons:
Troublemaker ( my bird does try to kill the cat or anyone else she doesn't like)
Very Stubborn and will do anything to get their way
Can be hesitant to try new things
Be very loud ( sounds like car alarm closest that I can come up with to describe it

I hope this hope this pro and cons list helps you!;)

Featheredfuffs

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Oh wow thanks so much!!!! That was super helpful!!!

I've decided to get one, and a breeder who I've been talking to just sent a picture of my baby. I've already named her Delilah (I'm not DNA sexing, but if she turns out to be a boy, she'll just be Dell) :):heart::cwpkt:(this is the canary wing, right?)

My little guy:

Attachments

Last edited:

Cat The Great

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Caitlyn
Yes, this is a canary-wing and she is sooo cute!!:heart: Congratulations!!

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Why not dna sex. You can submit the dna sample yourself. I have used IQ bird testing 3 times in the last year and all were accurate for $10. I had two of the birds already sexed so when the results came back matching I had no choice but to trust. They can do it with either a couple of drops of blood on an index card or with a few pluicked chest feathers.

schnitzle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Schnitzle
I'm sorry I missed this! Caitlyn is a more experienced canary-wing owner than I am anyway :)

Congrats on Delilah! I think I saw your posts on the yahoo canary-winged parakeet forums. I'm so excited for you!

I'll only had my CWP Clover for 2 1/2 weeks, but what I can tell you is that she has been what I'd call a very confident bird.
She wasn't scared coming home in a travel cage like I expected her to be, and she loved exploring her cage and toys. She was eating and drinking well the first night home. A week later though, along with that confidence has been her feeling comfortable telling us not to touch the stuff in her cage or that she doesn't want to step up right then. We're working on that. In the snuggle department, we have what we call "baby times" where she gets all puffed up and enjoys some head rubs and makes little peeping sounds. :xflove: I feel like she's got a pretty big personality in a small package.

I think you'll love your little Delilah (or Dell) and I hope you'll post a lot of photos!!

Mdbbirds

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Marje
Javi, do you have the address for the place that does $10 DNA sexing? Do the plucked chest feathers require blood? Are there any behavioral issues that give a clue? I have no desire to breed so I guess it really doesn't matter. Thanks!

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
It is www.iqbirdtesting.com . I usually just do the drops of blood as my birds usually need a nail trim when I am doing DNA. I have been very happy with it. Even without breeding it is good to know what gender you have in case there are gender traits you need to be careful of.

schnitzle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Schnitzle
Yay!! One of us, one of us!

Epsilon

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kelly
I was digging around looking for more information on CWP, they sound great! My only worry is the noise. Would you say they're louder than a conure?

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
Lol I've had Porter for going on Six years now.
They are STUBBORN.
But so sweet and cuddly... definitely velcro birds. Mine is a perch potato.

They can also get cage territorial and are very very very very very picky eaters.
Watch your protien amounts, in the wild they are fruit eaters and don't readily eat much in the way of insects or even as much seed as you would expect.
Lower pellet content, higher fresh fruit and veggies.

But all in all they are awesome little birds.
Just don't expect much in the way of tricks... they are like the cats of the bird world... *Why should I do that?*

Featheredfuffs

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
I fostered a Green cheek conure before I got Delilah, and they’re about the same in volume... but Canary wing parakeets call more frequently. She will yell when I leave the room, but the rest of her vocalizations are Whistles, words, and other sounds. It’s nowhere near a sun conure or Quaker or something like that, but she loves to talk:)