• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Canary Types

Alyse

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyse
Hello!

I did a search for this but I didn't find anything regarding species differences. For those with canaries, could you please share your experiences with each different type you have experience with? I am thinking about adding one to my flock but I know the different species can vary a lot. I would also be specifically looking for a male as I have an all male flock (in case that influences your responses). This would likely be my only canary though as I read they can be aggressive towards others, even in a large aviary.

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
:bump4:

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
LOL .. this was posted 15 minutes ago. Have a little patience. I can only type so quickly!

I am not a canary expert, but I did do some research when I was considering options for my aviary so I might be able to help. Canaries are very interesting birds and they have been kept in aviculture for a long time.

First off, the domestic canary is one species, with many varieties or breeds that were developed by selectively breeding for desired traits. This means that the care requirements for different types of canary are pretty similar. Despite surface differences, they are all still canaries and, with a few exceptions, have the same basic needs. Do note however, that some canary varieties were created by breeding to closely related finch species, so they are in fact hybrids. Some hybrids are sterile, but desirable due to their unique color or song.

Canary breeds are loosely separated into three groups, depending on their primary attribute - color, song, and type. Color canaries have been bred for unique colors, like red factor, blue, bronze or onyx. Green canaries are the wild type. Yellow canaries are a popular color canary. Song canaries have been breed for unusual songs, like Spanish Timbrado and German Roller. Type canaries are bred for interesting physical features, like size, stance or frilly feathers. Gloster canaries and Fife canaries are type canaries.

Are you looking for a striking appearance or a beautiful song? That should help to narrow down your search to a specific type.

Do you plan on keeping the canary in a cage or aviary with other birds or will he have his own housing?

Alyse

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyse
Are you looking for a striking appearance or a beautiful song? That should help to narrow down your search to a specific type.

Do you plan on keeping the canary in a cage or aviary with other birds or will he have his own housing?
Hi Destiny! thank you for the reply!

I think I'd prefer a nice song.

As for where he'd be staying, hubby and I are divided on that at the moment. He'd like him to be outside in the aviary with the other finches, but I worry about how loud he may be and would rather keep him inside in his own housing if he may cause any issues with neighbors, or other finches. Advice on one or the other would also be welcomed as well.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've not had a canary before, but as it is my dream bird (+ more budgies!), I've done some extensive research.

You should consider whether or not you'd like intensive or non-intensive feathers. There are two kinds of feathers in canaries. They each produce a different look & there are many synonyms for them. This wouldn't matter for a pet (non-breeding) owner, but for that non-intensive/ buff feathers are more prone to feather cysts, something I'd like to avoid.

Here is a thread with lots of links about different kinds of canaries:

Here is a thread I suggest reading before getting a song bred canary:

I also would encourage you to listen to various song canaries singing on YouTube. You'll probably have a favourite. :)

@finchly successfully keeps more than one of them in the same environment. So she may have some tips!

Alyse

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyse
That is all fantastic information Sparkles99! Thank you so much! It all started when I saw one available in my area. I listened to a YouTube video of the species and while it was beautiful, it was a little repetitive. Not in a terribly bad way though. I feel like I remember that there is one species that is very raucous, and I was just trying to remember which one that is.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Canaries are truly domesticated, so they're all the same species, just different breeds. Serinus canaria domestica. They even have their own scientific name to distinguish them from their wild ancestors, like cats & dogs do!

Maybe the Spanish timbrado is the one you're thinking of. I couldn't live with them. I'm sorry, but it's best to know one's limits. They sound very metallic to me. Have a listen & let us know what you think of them. :)

Alyse

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyse
I'm sorry, but it's best to know one's limits.
So true!! I can't tell you how many people I've seen (online, not anyone I know) that clearly didn't do any research prior to bringing home a pretty thing to look at and have no idea of how to care for them or what they are signing up for. Ultimately it's the animal that suffers, so unfair :(