• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Canary/Society Finch Compatibility?

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's gorgeous!

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is that orange I see in the second pic? If so, my vote goes to a melanin red factor canary, not currently being colour fed.

Menagerie Mama

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
Is that orange I see in the second pic? If so, my vote goes to a melanin red factor canary, not currently being colour fed.
Ooops, should’ve left it to those more knowledgeable! I thought the orange was from the lighting. Clara is decidedly more yellow

Itsjustme

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Deborah
@Sparkles99 Here are a couple more pics I took today. I honestly don't know exactly what kind he is. I was just told that he was a "bronze male canary"... When he sings, he kinda sounds like the Timbrado videos I've played, but I just don't know. :think1:

Millet mouth 3-21.jpg

Here View attachment 375347 with apple 3-21.jpg

Menagerie Mama

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
He’s gorgeous...but, I take it back, not at all like Clara :headsmack: (I’ll have to dig up photos from my old phone, or try to take new. She is not a fan of the phone)

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm not more knowledgeable. I just started researching in coloured canaries seriously in February, but we have managed to amass quite a few good resources on coloured canaries in this thread: Canary colour & mutation guide

I see patches of grey with melanin feather markings, so see why you might have thought timbrado. Makes me wonder if he has the mosaic gene. :shrug:

Itsjustme

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Deborah
He’s gorgeous...but, I take it back, not at all like Clara :headsmack: (I’ll have to dig up photos from my old phone, or try to take new. She is not a fan of the phone)
@Menagerie Mama , Thanks! :) I think he's pretty special, but then I'm biased. Schroeder is not a fan of the phone, either! Any pic I happen to get that's in focus is purely luck!.

Itsjustme

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Deborah

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's really interesting! I still don't understand the difference what the bronze & cobalt mutations do to canaries. :)

FrogsGoMoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
James
Not sure if you got Schroeder a Society Finch friend yet, but the "Arizona Bird Store" on Dobson & Broadway sell some gorgeous black and white Society Finches. Their store is amazing and their birds are fantastically bred.

Don't really have many photos of the one I got from there alone, especially sitting still, but here's one:

IMG_0992.jpeg

Jogging around the block
Beautiful canary you have there!
I keep my canaries with zebras but a society is definitely a more gentle bird and more likely to get along than a zebra. Mine don't seem territorial to the canaries but I wonder if it's because they kind of all have their corners of the cage and aren't very close to each other often.
Please keep us updated and the pics coming! :)

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
Not sure if you got Schroeder a Society Finch friend yet, but the "Arizona Bird Store" on Dobson & Broadway sell some gorgeous black and white Society Finches. Their store is amazing and their birds are fantastically bred.

Don't really have many photos of the one I got from there alone, especially sitting still, but here's one:

View attachment 388114
I like the perch too!