• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Canary/Society Finch Compatibility?

Itsjustme

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Deborah
I have a young male canary (non-singing as yet). I'm wondering if he would be able to live with a society finch for company? I know solo canaries are kept all the time, just wondering if he would like company.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Yes. It could live with 1,2, or 3 societies. I have canaries with finches and also with societies. No problems.

Itsjustme

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Deborah
Thanks so much for your reply Finchley. Schroeder's (the canary) cage is 30x18x18, so I'm assuming only one Society? I'm probably anthropomorphizing (sp?), but I can't help but think he would like it better with a little avian companionship. :)

Also, I mentioned Society finches as I know they're pretty non-aggressive. Are there any others that would be suitable? I'm assuming not Zebras as they can be aggressive and territorial...

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I agree, they all love avian friends.

There are lots of finches that are gentle, I think a society is the best choice. You could also do a Gouldian, masked grass finch, star finch, or an orange cheeked wAxbill (I think I have that last one right).

Menagerie Mama

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
Ohhh, I want some orange cheeked waxbills one day; they are adorable and I seem to recall they have a lovely voice:swoon:
Zebra finches were my “gateway birds”, and while they are a sweet, busy and happy presence to have around, they are in the same room as my canary, but separate cages as the beeping zebras are “a bit much” personality-wise to be housed with Clara canary.

Menagerie Mama

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
Should’ve added, yes, the zebras can be territorial...because of this, the parents are in one cage and their offspring (eight of them from two clutches before I became adept at preventing nesting) are housed together in a stacked/double decker flight cage.
The younger zebras all get along famously, thank goodness there was no difficulty introducing the second clutch to the first!

Last edited:

Itsjustme

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Deborah
Ohhh, I want some orange cheeked waxbills one day; they are adorable and I seem to recall they have a lovely voice:swoon:
Zebra finches were my “gateway birds”, and while they are a sweet, busy and happy presence to have around, they are in the same room as my canary, but separate cages as the beeping zebras are “a bit much” personality-wise to be housed with Clara canary.
Hi Menagerie Mama,
I don't think I've ever seen an orange cheeked waxbill up close and personal, just pics. Very cute!

I've kept zebras in the past (many years ago), so I do know their "beeping" can get to be a bit much. They would probably give poor Schroeder a nervous twitch. ;P

I've had many types of birds in the past, from finches to parrots, but Schroeder is my first canary, so I want to be sure I do right by him.

Menagerie Mama

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
Hi Menagerie Mama,
I don't think I've ever seen an orange cheeked waxbill up close and personal, just pics. Very cute!

I've kept zebras in the past (many years ago), so I do know their "beeping" can get to be a bit much. They would probably give poor Schroeder a nervous twitch. ;P

I've had many types of birds in the past, from finches to parrots, but Schroeder is my first canary, so I want to be sure I do right by him.
We need to see photos when Schroeder gets a feathered friend :pinklol3:

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel

Itsjustme

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Deborah
Hi All,

Just wanted to post an update. It took him a week (since I brought him home), but Schroeder's finally singing! Yay! He seems to like 60's classic rock -- my kinda bird!! :lol:I had been playing YouTube canary training videos, and when he started singing, it took me a minute to realize it wasn't just the birds on the computer that were singing!

I haven't gotten a Society friend for him yet, for a few reasons. First of all, I don't see any available in my area atm (Phoenix area, preferably East Valley). Also, since he's just started singing, I don't feel like I should "rock the boat" so to speak. And I've ordered a stand for his cage, which will be here in a few days and will then have to move his cage across the room. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I just don't want to have him so frazzled he gets upset and stops singing. Sooo, I keep dithering.

Anywho, that's what's what at this point...

Menagerie Mama

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
Schroeder is adorable!:heart2:...and your pictures are fantastic; especially the close up with broccoli
(of course, I would think so, he is the same coloring as my Clara!)

Itsjustme

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Deborah
Schroeder is adorable!:heart2:...and your pictures are fantastic; especially the close up with broccoli
Thanks for the confidence boost! LOL! I bet your Clara is a cutie. Do you have pics?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I agree!

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
Can't remember what breed of canary this is? But I remember they do sing beautifully!