• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Canary seed/pellet recommendations

Lola J

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello!
I am new to this forum and would love some advice. I have two new Fife canaries. They are almost three months old. Siblings of unknown gender. I have had parakeets and cockatiels in the past but these are my first canaries. I will also say that I am already in love! I hope that they are the exception to the rule and that whatever their sex they continue to get along together, but I’m prepared if they don’t.
Ok, on to my question, I would love to know what other canary lovers feed their birds. I give them veggies and some fruit and I’m good with that. I’m looking specifically for what pellets and or seed to feed. Right now they aregetting Dr. Harvey’s canary seed and Harrison’s pellets ( which they don’t like and I’m going through all the steps to try and get them to like it). Any advice would be welcomed! I want the best for my kids!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Adam21

Strolling the yard
Hey there! :)

I feed them this parakeet/canary diet from my local PetSmart. The brand is 'Great Choice'. The enjoy it a lot. Kaytee is a more premium brand but more expensive. I do plan to get them a newer, more nutritious seed blend , however. Would like some recommendations like you as well.

The brand you use seems to be a popular high quality one. Here is a link for another high quality brand known as Lafeber:

Amazon.com : LAFEBER'S Premium Daily Diet Pellets Pet Bird Food, Made with Non-GMO and Human-Grade Ingredients, for Canaries, 1.25 lbs : Pet Supplies

I might try both of these going forward to see if my Canaries like them. Want to move to a better diet. Current one is kind of budget but it works fine.

Edit: This one seems to be just pellets

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi, there are a couple of brands of seed mix I like. One is Volkman's and the other is Abba. Canaries definitely need seed. It's good that you are already doing veggies/fruits. Offer them a protein food too, like mealworms (dried or live), or scrambled egg or boiled egg. You can also take raw almonds or other nuts (unsalted) and grind them in a blender, mine will eat them that way. And of course, any kind of sprouts will give them the best nutrition. You can buy from Sprout people, Amazon, or True Leaf Market.

As far as pellets, my canaries are not huge pellet fans. They eat Roudybush but don't love it. They eat TOPS pellets more willingly, it's about 10% of our diet. And they will not touch: Harrison's, Zupreem or Kaytee. I'm following a program where you feed them tons of raw/natural foods, so I am not feeding much pellet at the moment anyway.

Serin

Sprinting down the street
Canaries are not picky birds and will usually eat whatever is offered. I use Volkman's and have also used ABBA and they get Lafeber's pellets. Daily greens too.

Lola J

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you all for the advice. I will look into the brands that were recommended. :)

SteveearE

Moving in
Real Name
Steve Earsom
One of the best canary foods is seeds from Harvest. I bought this for my birds. The little ones especially love canary seeds, so I decided to buy whole seeds so they don't have to rummage through other seed mixes to find what they want. They love this. The two bags I have are very clean; no dirt or anything like that.