• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Canary Scaley feet/legs

Status
Not open for further replies.

oddbird

Walking the driveway
Please take a look at the pictures & let me know what you think (sorry cameras not the best) pics are on my site im making on page titled"Scales on legs /feet" Canaries As Pets - Home Thanks for any help you can give me

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie

southernbirds

Rollerblading along the road
Maybe you need to consult a Vet or the breeder. I hope you are not using rough perches for them.

oddbird

Walking the driveway
The breeder says they are fine,the person who took the third one has canaries & saw picked up all my birds and said they are fine...they act fine ...but still their legs look scaley & they are not old birds ,they are closed banded 2007 -My Husband says the Airpurifiers we have kill mites...

Last night i got something called "scalex" & put it on the birds feet ...but it says you need to spray the cage & i have not done that...i am very discouarged ...(please see my other posting canary trio problems) Thanks

southernbirds

Rollerblading along the road
The only way to be sure of anything is to go to an Avian Vet. Don't get discouraged. I don't think air filter kill mites, though. Everything will work out in the end. They are still young birds. Don't waste money on buying things until you speak to an expert.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
The air purifier kills dust mites, not scaley leg mites.;) Don't be discouraged, it can be easily remedied. I agree a trip to a CAV would be a good idea.

oddbird

Walking the driveway
i put on the scalex ,it wasnt easy...

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Can we have an update, is it working?

canarymerry

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
mary
the site ncGreyBirdLady included is an excellent source. you may want to look into a condition called hyperkeratosis (another diet deficiency thing) as well. check out the pics at this site: Hyperkeratosis in captive starlings and is also in canaries showing raised picket scalesand think nails. as far as mites and a product called "scat" -do not use on chicks younger than 6 months. and air purifiers that kill mites- don't they create ozone- and isn't ozone bad for birds? i've read it totally was.
w/luv4allbeings

Last edited:

canarymerry

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
mary
the site ncGreyBirdLady recommended is an excellent source.
you may also want to look into a condition called hyperkeratosis that is another vitamin deficiency thing that is often found in canaries, appearing as raised picket scales n thick nails.... check out these pictures at: Hyperkeratosis in captive starlings .
i've read that clover sprouts clears hyperkeratosis right up, btw. :clover:
as far as mites - and if you use a popular product called "scat", the label warns that it shouldn't be used on or around chicks ages 6 months or younger.
also-with air purifiers; isn't the ones that kill anything, does it by producing ozone?
:reading:i've read that ozone around birds was a no no.
.:ycanary::sick:
w/luv4allbeings

Status
Not open for further replies.