• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Canary question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Hi there,

I have a small aviary outside (about 2 1/2' x 4' x 6'. There are a female and male society finch, and their 3 babies that are out of the nest and one male (supposedly) canary. The guy who I got the canary from told me he thought it was a male, but he doesn't sing, which of course he may not do being the only canary. I have another male canary in a cage inside, who is a rescue. I am wondering if it would be safe to put him in that aviary outside. He originally lived in a home with another male canary. They had free run of the house. Once they went into rescue and into a cage this one Java, bullied the other one so I separated them. Custard, the other one has been adopted. My question is, could I put Java out in the aviary with Elvis and the finches? I know that many many canary breeders put a lot of them together, I just want to be sure that Elvis remains comfortable and safe.

Thank you:)

oddbird

Walking the driveway
Vicki, Im not sure ,I do know i had several canaries in one big flight cage MANY years ago , and at least one was a male ,cause he sang like there was no tomarrow :) none of them fought...i would say with any birds you put together ,watch them closely until your sure they are getting along...since you avairy is outside i dont think id do it ....just my opinion

Im glad to find someone else w/ a supposed male who dosnt sing...i just got three Red Factor canaries(friday after Thanksgiving)..found a new home for one on Sunday(who was supposedly a female,but may have been a male...)the three of them were squabbling ,and i didnt think it was good ,so i found a home for the third one...now i have two ..supposedly one male & one female...but according to the lady i bought them from ..none of the three of them ever sang ..and she had them a year...however she said the breeder she got them from said the two are a pair & have had babies together for him ...so i dont know what to think...the two are getting along fine now that the third is gone...i dont mind if they are two females,i guess we will see...i put them in my huge flight cage together now and they seem happy.

what did you decide to do with yours ?

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Vicki, Im not sure ,I do know i had several canaries in one big flight cage MANY years ago , and at least one was a male ,cause he sang like there was no tomarrow :) none of them fought...i would say with any birds you put together ,watch them closely until your sure they are getting along...since you avairy is outside i dont think id do it ....just my opinion

Im glad to find someone else w/ a supposed male who dosnt sing...i just got three Red Factor canaries(friday after Thanksgiving)..found a new home for one on Sunday(who was supposedly a female,but may have been a male...)the three of them were squabbling ,and i didnt think it was good ,so i found a home for the third one...now i have two ..supposedly one male & one female...but according to the lady i bought them from ..none of the three of them ever sang ..and she had them a year...however she said the breeder she got them from said the two are a pair & have had babies together for him ...so i dont know what to think...the two are getting along fine now that the third is gone...i dont mind if they are two females,i guess we will see...i put them in my huge flight cage together now and they seem happy.

what did you decide to do with yours ?
I put him in the aviary for 2 days, but then pulled him out. I thought the other birds, particularly the other canary looked uncomfortable.

canarymerry

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
mary
I put him in the aviary for 2 days, but then pulled him out. I thought the other birds, particularly the other canary looked uncomfortable.
good choice.
i have two males- father n son. they have free flight all day n still bicker. fortunately i keep an eye on them all the time and/so nothing bad ever happens, but male canaries- especially redfactors are known to fight or at least stress each other out. most of my hens sing too, just not as loud. they sing more (or at all) when they're getting full spectrum or sun light. these should have been called sunbirds because they are solar powered. another reason to "sing" is when they're randy for a hen, complaining or want something. bouncer and tesla, both tame, take turns standing on my head yelling all day for these reasons as well as competing for top cock. top cock tells everybody what to do, even their humans.
one of the ways you can distinguish the males is they have testicles. the base of their tales are thicker then the hens; downright bloated at times, especially when they're randy.
w/luv4allbeings

Status
Not open for further replies.