• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Canary: lonely behavior?

b.b.

Moving in
Hello everyone! I am new to birds, and this site has been invaluable in preparing and teaching me, thank you all so much. There are many threads discussing mixed aviaries, canary companions, etc butI created a new one because I’d like to know if you all think mine is lonely based on his constant singing and cuddling with mirrors.

A few months ago, I purchased an eight month old fife canary from a breeder. He is such a joy, has incredible personality, and sings nonstop (but less when I am in the room). He lives in my office, which is filled with ambient sunlight, plants, and full spectrum lights (the lighting hours in the room mimics outdoor sunlight). He flies free with open cage while I am in the room during the day. I have done what I can to ensure proper care, nutrition, and cage (30” tall, 37” wide, 20” deep – a Mcage flight on its side for more flying opportunity). My husband thinks I am insane, but I know you all wont!

When he flies around the room, he frequently sits at the little decorative mirrors, occasionally tapping his beak gently against his reflection. So, about two weeks ago I tried a little mirror inside his cage. This sweet guy sits snuggled up next to that mirror 50% of his time inside the cage, and he sings less often now (which is ok by me as long as he is still happy).

Research all over the internet concludes that there is no consistent answer to “should I get my male canary a companion”, but based on my observations, this one seems lonely. Or maybe the mirror has given him the company he needed? Since I only have experience with cats and dogs, I may be projecting, what do you all think?

If all signs point to lonely, and new bird numbers will depend on many factors, I have been considering society / owl finches or a female canary (I don’t think my cage is large enough for another male?). If I add a female canary, I want to avoid breeding, and I know they may need to be separated periodically. I would prefer to keep everyone in one cage once quarantine period is over (but recognize that this may not work out). I don’t want much more “high volume” noise (this little dude is higher in volume than I ever imagined), but the general chattering of finches is wonderfully ok.

Lastly, adopting finches or canaries seems nearly impossible in Maryland/DC/Virginia, (too bad I didn't start with budgies omg poor things are available for adoption everywhere) so I would likely have to purchase from store – unless someone knows of a breeder nearby? I don’t like the idea of shipping birds, but even buying from a store will unfortunately involve that.

Thank you in advance, I am very curious to hear your thoughts! -B

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You canary would prefer a canary over a finch. I *do* believe they get lonely, even tho yours is living the dream. T prevent breeding, invest in some dummy eggs right away. Every time she lays an egg, swap it for a dummy. That way you can let her sit on them but there won’t be any babies!

Hens are not as loud as males, they just chirp.

I know a breeder in VA. I’ll send you the information by private message.

b.b.

Moving in
Thank you @finchly! Makes sense to keep species together, and I love the little chirps, so a female would be incredibly pleasant. Given the choice, would you suggest one female or multiple? From other threads, I have noticed a frequent recommendation of multiple hens with one male. I also worry that I wont recognize if my male is being aggressive / harassing the female - any tips? I have read about egg binding, and I think you're supposed to supplement - does anyone know?

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:welcome2: It sounds like your bird is spoiled. :ycanary:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
As far as numbers, you can keep a pair or a trio easily. Just like with human kiddos, in a trio there can be occasional squabbles. But they forget it easily.

Supplements- are you talking about red for the red canaries? You can feed the special red food, or give them red foods (pepper, carrots etc) at molt time.

For general health, get a good quality vitamin and a separate calcium. You can get them from Amazon, Chewy, or any number of smaller pet supply stores.

b.b.

Moving in
Thank you!

Maybe three would be nice - I know quarantine is very important, do you think that buying from the same breeder could help minimize quarantine time? And I will keep your suggested breeder in mind, @finchly, I was primarily concerned with finding a new breeder if we went the finch route :)

I did not preventatively treat for mites with my current bird, but maybe even if I use the same breeder it would be a good idea to use SCATT and AIL or S76 on everyone?

The supplement I was referring to was calcium I think, for potential egg issues / exhaustion. This guy is white and "canary blue" - people are very surprised that all canaries aren't yellow! I have cuttlebone, pellet diet, the breeder's seed diet available at all times, maybe I need to add a vitamin block thingy.

Now that I am considered one or two additional canaries, my poor bank account is feeling the impending doom of new accessories... and the desire for a massive cage since I am used to seeing only one bird in a cage where many people put several! Haha!

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Finchly said it all :)

i believe Canary’s, like most ”little birds” flourish best when in groups, so if space allows it, get one or more canary’s. They are not as territorial as other birds, so it doesnt matter if you mix multiple males amongst themselves. I had 10 canarys in my aviary and aside from the ocasional bickering on the feeding place, they all played nice.

b.b.

Moving in
Finchly said it all :)

i believe Canary’s, like most ”little birds” flourish best when in groups, so if space allows it, get one or more canary’s. They are not as territorial as other birds, so it doesnt matter if you mix multiple males amongst themselves. I had 10 canarys in my aviary and aside from the ocasional bickering on the feeding place, they all played nice.
Thank you! The information out there on canaries is so varied, and rather confusing! I think it is high time for us to fix this - just think of all the people keeping their birds in less than ideal situations or not having canaries at all because of the mixed messages. If I had just asked sooner, I would have brought home multiple birds and would not have to worry about obtaining new friends or going through the quarantine process. Lesson learned :)

As I type this, my canary is flying in circles around the room zoom zoom zoom cheep cheep cheep, stopping to pick at his greens and chat with his mirror - he's such a sweet distraction!

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Canary’s are great :) we had them for years :) they are “easy” birds to care for. But their love for green is what made me decide to stop having Canary’s. They are like goldfish. You just cant keep them in a well maintained garden.they will eat it ALL :rofl: