• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Canary issue help

AfricanGreyGR

Moving in
Hello guys it's been a while! I hope you and our feathered friends are doing well!
Last time I posted here was for my African Grey - which I panicked hella! He's perfectly healthy now and he's doing fine!

Today though when I woke up, I found that my canary had issues (instability), he was at the bottom of the cage, not moving, generally when I approach him, he'll move around the cage, but today he wouldn't move, I did help him get on it.
He drinks water normally, he is just sitting there still all puffed up. And he keeps staring at his feet cause he seems unstable. I'll post some pictures/vids so you guys can advise me tell me what you think

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
:bump7:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I'm sorry that your canary isn't feeling good. I hope that antibiotices help.

AfricanGreyGR

Moving in
Hello Forum,

Sorry for not writing back at you but now i'm here to post up.

The antibiotics helped, he started feeling better for 2 weeks, after that his condition started getting worse. It's weird because he was whistling just fine, he seemed happy and okay.. but then suddenly it all turned sideways.
I started giving him the same antibiotic again, but it seems like it didn't work? Either that or he wouldn't even drink enough from it.. This time he seemed a lot weaker to the point where he couldn't even stand on his little feet at all - It was at this point that we noticed a little scratch-like thingy on his foot, I started using Betadine and Kenacomb on his feet, thinking that's the issue, I guess it wasn't.. His little brother was owned by a neighbour they died of the same symptoms, but with a few months difference. - I even moved his little waterstation down below so he could drink water and eat. Seeing my little friend in this position torn me up inside.

My beautiful friend, Pilitsos, passed on the 5th of August 2019, yesterday. I hope he's in a better place, singing his chilling and beautiful songs.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Oh I am sorry. You had a beautiful little crested canary.

In the future, you might try some preventive treatments for your baby, if the breeder doesn't practice them. That way if he/she has mites or parasites, they can be dealt with before the bird is weakened.

I would also suggest 2 products to have on hand. One is NV powder, it's basically vitamins but it helps the littles like canaries and finches pull out of a slump like that.

The other is probiotics. There are tons of brand names out there, scroll down on this page for more information. (it says finches but you'd treat canaries exactly the same). Probiotics can be used safely all the time, but they are especially important after using antibiotics.