• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Canary foraging opportunities

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Hi guys, it's been a crazy few days, but I am excited to tell you about Mel and his new activities.

I've been trying to find creative ways to enrich his cage and get him foraging and playing. I knew it would be a little stressful to go from the small but open quarantine to the caged, but more active living room. He goes crazy for purple lettuce and sometimes millet, so I've been using those to entice him to use his acrobatic skills to get to them. Making it harder to reach from his perches every few days. I stopped using his coconut thing for food when he (I'm no longer positive about gender...) started only sleeping in it instead of his perches.

When he's out for flight time (increasing time out most days!) he seems fascinated with monaco's perches and stands, and even peers into her foraging cups. He seems to like the perches she doesn't, so I'm happy they're getting some use.

I also caught him interacting with the vine loops on his coconut! It seems exploring the foraging options has had some broader effect on his curiosity and confidence!

I'll try to get some pictures, but they're likely going to be just the items. It's still pretty scary when the rectangle approaches.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Awww I missed your thread! Mel is sooooo adorable!!! Such a pretty colour too! :swoon:

Just putting food in different places is foraging, little things can make a big difference :)

Ps ... more pics please! :lol: (once Mel is confortable of course ;) )

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Awww I missed your thread! Mel is sooooo adorable!!! Such a pretty colour too! :swoon:

Just putting food in different places is foraging, little things can make a big difference :)

Ps ... more pics please! :lol: (once Mel is confortable of course ;) )
I really need new pictures. His back is so bright and almost orange after his molt. I'll do my best... Maybe I can get a good one during a nap.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Uh oh... Of course I startled him, but he stayed until I put the phone away. I zoomed from the kitchen, so 5 or 6 feet away seems to be okay. Maybe in a couple of weeks I can get a little closer.

IMG_20200516_190115.jpg

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
An update...

So yesterday I changed out his food dish for a flat crock (restaurant baking dish) to hold random things with his food spread around them. I also moved his millet foraging apparatus further from his perch a few days ago. Today I was refilling the millet, and I got the gift of a fly by and perched in front of my face to see what was going on! I moved the millet thing away from easy perching, and was rewarded with watching him sway and slip and fully work for his treat! I'll get some pictures tonight when the dishes come out for cleaning so you can see the crazy things he's been brave enough to try. The benefits of this have been exponential, and I'm another step closer to....the next surprise!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
What a cutie!

Conure101

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Me too!

:yah: sounds like he is becoming a little adventurer!

What is it? Tell me! Tell me! Tell me! :present:
I don’t know yet either! I really hope he gets excited enough to hop onto the forager while I'm holding it!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I forgot to take a picture...

IMG_20200525_151643.jpg

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
An update on Melon...

Hoot n holler's @WallyLoopey made this lovely foraging house for Mel! It's so perfect, from the colors to the size, and especially the tiny perch inside and the stable hanging hooks. He's been getting in it, and is comfortable on top now, so it's heading to his window this week.

IMG_20200726_172115.jpg IMG_20200723_192224.jpg

This is a landing station that @JLcribber made, and I got for Monaco. She got on it a lot while it was near her cage, but was scared of it when I moved it. In her absence, some birdy else has claimed it. It is now on one side of his window, and he likes the quiet side for naps... Especially after his bath on the low shelf! It's so perfect to add his little things, and have enough clearance for him. John, I love it even more now because he likes it so much!

IMG_20200727_190952.jpg

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
:hug8: Nephews of mine are allowed to share.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Nice update! Love the house, Love the perch, Love Melon on the perch :loveit: