• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Canary eggs - don't want to breed

cinnamonpc

Moving in
Real Name
Mandy
Hi Everyone,

New to this thread. I am a new owner of a male and female canary. In hindsight, getting a male and a female may haven't been the smartest choice, as I have eggs on my hands now.

I anticipated my female would lay eggs, but not so soon!

I've had them for 1 week, and she laid her first little blue egg this morning. She was very keen on building a nest the last few days. I did not intervene.

Now, I do not want to breed canaries right now! I am just getting a handle on caring for adult canaries.

How can I remove these eggs and deter her from laying more? And any smart ideas for discarding of these eggs without just simply throwing them out? as someone new to this, that feels a bit cruel.

Thanks for your help!

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you have dummy eggs you could swap them out right away. I don’t know if canaries count eggs or not.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Get the eggs out of there and boil them then replace them or do as Sparkles99 mentioned and replace them with dummy eggs appropriate for canary size- I am guessing boiling them will be the most suitable at this stage as you will need to find then buy the fake eggs before they are of use.
I am also not sure if canaries replace lost eggs like some other birds do and I can not think who to tag for you- @Zara might know or know who else can be called on to help with information.