• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Canary cysts on wings help

Do I euthanase or percivere picking

• Euthanasia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Picking

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yve

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Yve
I have just recently bought a canary and discovered 2 cysts, caused by ingrowing feathers, one on each place where the shoulder would be in the wings, after much research I am left with a decision, do I keep picking the feathers out every time they appear, risking infection each time they do plus trauma, or do I have the poor little thing euthanised humanely. Please help Yve

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I think this is a conversation you should have with an avian vet.

Yve

Real Name
Yve
Already had it with vet, hence decision to be made, thanks.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Sorry. If you loved your bird you"d get the vet to remove the cyst along with the follicle to prevent any further problems. DIY is not an option IMHO

Yve

Real Name
Yve
Ah thank you I didn’t know I could have the follicle removed to prevent further trouble, I will look into this, I just don’t want him to suffer.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Removing the follicle is the only way to deal with this situation. Continual picking every six to eight weeks will only cause pain and possible infection, and your bird will not enjoy it's life.
Euthanasia is the last resort, and for cysts completely unwarranted.
I hope you can get this sorted quickly and your bird gives you many years of joy.

Welcome to Avian Avenue.

Yve

Real Name
Yve
I will go back to vet and ask him to remove follicles, I hope this works for the poor little guy, thanks everyone!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I have a pair of tiels who were given to me; the woman had bought them but her avian vet told her the hen was too old to breed. When she gave them to me she didn't bother to mention that the beautiful pied hen had a fatty growth on one wing. I took her to Dr. Scott who told me that nothing could be done about the fatty growth. It isn't malignant but it was allowed to grow beyond treatment. He'd said that if she'd been taken to a vet early on the growth could've been treated or removed. At this point it prevents her from using her right wing or flying properly. She isn't in pain and Dr. Scott had said to watch it so it doesn't get infected (gave me an antibiotic spray to use). She and her OH are very much bonded - each will panic if the other isn't within sight or right next to them.

We had mentioned the possibility of removing the growth/wing but Dr. Scott said she probably wouldn't make it through surgery. Age unknown,a beautiful pair, no rings though from their size and quality I believe they were probably show birds at one time. The cock actually talks and though they are a little hand-shy they aren't on the "hysterical fear" spectrum. I've been calling them "pretty bird" and "pretty baby" which they both respond to and "talk" to me. A fallow lutino cock and a heavy yellow face pied hen.

Ask about options to avoid infection and if your bird is suffering and in pain. I sincerely hope you are given options other than euthanasia - it seems to be a very drastic option for something that is not deadly. My opinion and experiences only - I have no vet background.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome