• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Canary colour & mutation guide

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've been researching colour bred canaries. Is there a book or a website that has both the colours and other mutations they may have (mosaic, opal, copper, cobalt, onyx, etc.)? I see that most are classified as either intense or non-intensive (buff?) and then with a colour (yellow, red, etc.). But it would seem that some terms are used interchangeably whereas others actually mean something else. Also, where does one go to see pictures of the red factor canaries that aren't colour fed?

I have found really well done websites explaining all about budgie mutations, nicely breaking things down as they layer the mutations on, which helped me identify what my two are easily, but nothing remotely similar for canaries. It's like you either are in the club or you're not.

Please help! @finchly + others, do you know where to start? There used to be a good website by Robirda RC MacDonald, but it seems to be gone now.

Thank you very much!

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Tricky trickster! I read that and thought I would find all the answers here!

All I know is that Mel's first picture compared to now looks like he was dipped in milk. He gets a little quiko colored edd food in his seed mix, and he's very vibrant now, and I think I see consistent mottling, so he may be pied. It's hard to know anything for sure if they change their scales.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry, Monaco! Didn't mean to be tricky. ;) I'm just hoping for something similar to what is found online for budgies, be it online or in a book.

Pied sounds cool - any photos of Mel's patches?

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Nothing recent. I will try to get new ones. He's got a couple of pictures in a couple of threads... I think it's "little peach canary" in the canary and Finch section. His pale spots in those early pictures are just much lighter now that he's closer to orange. They aren't white, though, so I don't know how those genetics work at all.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I have a hard time finding good references, therefore still don’t know too much about canary colors and breeds.
This site at least has pictures

And here are 2 that tell about them, but they sort of make your eyes cross.

If you don’t feed color food to colorbred canaries (at molting time) they change to a lighter orangeish color if they’re a clear color (probably the wrong term. I’m thinking of my small, “American” canaries).

If they have some melanin, the red tends to turn to just.... brown. I might have a pic on an old computer, I’ll try to find it.

Here’s a photo of my red black pair, they just hatched a single baby - yesterday. :) We were on pins and needles thinking she wasn’t going to feed it. We watched off and on all night. I did give it just a little water with a toothpick. Early this morning the dad chased mom off the nest and fed it himself.

EDD024FC-96AB-495E-AA3C-8CADEFC7387B.png

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for the links, finchly. :)

The site with pictures is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. Too bad she doesn't breed more colours - then there'd be a comprehensive list.

Your red black pair is gorgeous! It must be exciting having a little nestling.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Okay, Monaco & finchly, I persevered & thanks to the internet way back machine, found a pretty good website I'd seen many years ago. Some of the housing info is dated, but it has colours! I also found some other ones. Combined with the ones finchly found, it's a pretty good array of info.

Hope you enjoy and glad to know I'm not the only one interested. Also, Monaco, you can no longer call me a tricky trickster. :laugh:

If you click on the birds, it'll describe the colours, & as suspected some terms are used interchangeably.

This one has some more photos & descriptions if you click.

This has clickable links to navigate through many articles, etc. as though the site were still live.

Really pretty red factor explanation

Canaries that have markings on their feathers with pics!

Beautiful birds with their colours named

More coloured canaries with info for breeders

'Cobalt' canaries in various colours

Cobalt vs bronze - I don't think I could tell these apart...

Lots of different colours if you click on "Our Birds" & then click on each of the three sub-options.

Yellow & white canary varieties

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I really wish there were a comprehensive website or book....

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I'm impressed! I found a little here and there on breeder sites, but I guess I wasn't as motivated as you... Way back machine :embarassed: