• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent CANARY BREATHING HEAVILY. HELP

Puiusi

Moving in
Hello, I have a female canary that is sneezing, coughing, wheezing and breathing heavily,and is always fluffed up, she also seems tired.
this is a video of her that I took today. She still eats. She started showing symptoms like this yesterday. I'm giving him Enrofloxacin in the water and I've separated her from the other birds last night.
What should I do apart of the Enrofloxacin? (And in case it doesn't work what should I do? )
What does she have? What do you think she has? What treatment should I give her? Please help!!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
If that is what the vet said to do - do it. Did he give you the appropriate dosage? In addition you can make a hospital cage for him where he can't use a lot of energy moving around and that you can keep extra warm for him. From 29 - 35 celsius. Make sure he is drinking.

Antibiotics won't show an effect for 48 - 72 hours. You just need to be a good nurse now.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Your bird is quite ill. The small cage helps, perhaps a little steam helps. Enroflaxacin (baytril) is a good all-around antibiotic often used for respiratory infections.

To apply steam: put the small cage in a small bathroom. run the shower nearby on all-hot water until steam builds up. Keep the bird in there from 10 to 30 minutes (not all the time). If this causes an improvement, do it up to 3 times daily. If it doesn't seem to help after a couple of tries, don't continue to do it.

Remember to keep stress levels down. Keep the canary in a safe location away from pets, away from windows where he might see predators, away from drafts via doors or windows. Consider covering the cage with a towel or sheet on 3 sides if the household is very busy. Stick to the usual food and water regimen.

If you have Guardian Angel or Thrive (supplements for sick birds) these are safe to use with your antibiotic. They're just a support, like electrolytes. They definitely have saved a couple of mine, because they give them enough energy to eat a little. I just saw Guardian angel on ebay and Thrive on Amazon. In a pinch you can use pedialyte from the grocery (the baby aisle) and dilute it.

Let me caution you -- there are so-called recipes for sick birds on the Internet that claim to take the place of these professional products. Most involve sugar or molasses. Do NOT use these for your canary. Canaries are very susceptible to yeast, and that's what you'll be setting up for if you do this. Just spend the few $$ for the right product it will last forever.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Please update us regardless, but if your bird is not showing signs of improvement in 48 hours make another video and post it here.

Puiusi

Moving in
If that is what the vet said to do - do it. Did he give you the appropriate dosage? In addition you can make a hospital cage for him where he can't use a lot of energy moving around and that you can keep extra warm for him. From 29 - 35 celsius. Make sure he is drinking.

Antibiotics won't show an effect for 48 - 72 hours. You just need to be a good nurse now.
I got the dosage from the vet,and I'm going to follow the instructions of giving him the antibiotic water for 5 days(it's been 2 days so far, I can see the improvement, he stopped breathing with his mouth open as far as I can see) Thank you very much! I hope the Canary is gonna be OK

Puiusi

Moving in
Hello, I have a female canary that is sneezing, coughing, wheezing and breathing heavily,and is always fluffed up, she also seems tired.
this is a video of her that I took today. She still eats. She started showing symptoms like this yesterday. I'm giving him Enrofloxacin in the water and I've separated her from the other birds last night.
What should I do apart of the Enrofloxacin? (And in case it doesn't work what should I do? )
What does she have? What do you think she has? What treatment should I give her? Please help!!
HI, I'm here with a update, here's how she looks today, stopped breathing with her mouth open but still sneezes
Things are going well so far in the recovery, I just got to read the replies that everyone gave me on this thread and I'm going to try them

Puiusi

Moving in
Your bird is quite ill. The small cage helps, perhaps a little steam helps. Enroflaxacin (baytril) is a good all-around antibiotic often used for respiratory infections.

To apply steam: put the small cage in a small bathroom. run the shower nearby on all-hot water until steam builds up. Keep the bird in there from 10 to 30 minutes (not all the time). If this causes an improvement, do it up to 3 times daily. If it doesn't seem to help after a couple of tries, don't continue to do it.

Remember to keep stress levels down. Keep the canary in a safe location away from pets, away from windows where he might see predators, away from drafts via doors or windows. Consider covering the cage with a towel or sheet on 3 sides if the household is very busy. Stick to the usual food and water regimen.

If you have Guardian Angel or Thrive (supplements for sick birds) these are safe to use with your antibiotic. They're just a support, like electrolytes. They definitely have saved a couple of mine, because they give them enough energy to eat a little. I just saw Guardian angel on ebay and Thrive on Amazon. In a pinch you can use pedialyte from the grocery (the baby aisle) and dilute it.

Let me caution you -- there are so-called recipes for sick birds on the Internet that claim to take the place of these professional products. Most involve sugar or molasses. Do NOT use these for your canary. Canaries are very susceptible to yeast, and that's what you'll be setting up for if you do this. Just spend the few $$ for the right product it will last forever.
Allright! Im going to try the steam! If u find any supplements that you have listed, I will buy them. Thanks a lot for all the advice, it helps a lot!!