• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Canary balding up back of head - arayabd

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
@arayabd

While researching something totally different, I found what may be part/ all of what's up with your bird. I can't post on your thread as it's in the urgent section & I don't even have birds yet.

Sounds like your little canary may need a better diet. Maybe @finchly or @Ali has some ideas about diet. Both have canaries &/ or finches. I think @Destiny might too.

Please read this on page 626 or just search the document for canary - it's entry #2.

http://avianmedicine.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/24.pdf

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I do not have canaries, but I do keep finches.

Balding can happen in Gouldian finches too. It presents as pronounced feather loss on the head and neck. The three main causes of balding in Lady Gouldian finches are poor diet, iodine deficiency, and a protozoal disease called canker that impairs intestinal absorption, leading to nutritional deficiency. So it all leads back to vital nutrition.

From what I have read, hardier birds like canaries are less prone to developing canker, so I would definitely check that the diet is appropriate and well-balanced before trying anything else. An all seed diet can create all sorts of trouble. Assuming the diet is good, I would look for an iodine supplement or try offering iodine rich foods to help correct any deficits that might be present. Kelp is rich in iodine. You can buy powdered or pelleted forms of kelp that can be added to food or offered free-choice. Some grocery stores also sell edible dried kelp. Just be careful to not give too much. Not only can you over-dose the iodine, but kelp is high in salt which is not good in excess. Liquid iodine supplements is also available, which can be added to soft food or water.

If iodine supplementation does not seem to help, I would recommend a vet visit for the balding bird. Treating canker requires medicine and the vet would be able to confirm if that is the problem by testing for the organism.

Here is an article that talks about balding in finches:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I can’t find the thread. But canaries normally do not bald like finches. If it is missing feathers , I would first think somebody is plucking it. Secondly would be the diet.

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
It might be this thread:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Thank you for that, Destiny.

I apparently don’t have permission to go there. Even though I write books about bird health.