• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Canary and new GCC in same room

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
I’ve read that new birds need to be quarantined. Can I bring my baby green cheek conure to a cage on the other side of the first floor from our canary? It’s about 16 feet apart and we run a large air purifier 24/7. The alternative is to have the GCC more isolated upstairs until the month long quarantine is over. What say ye forum friends?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Can I bring my baby green cheek conure to a cage on the other side of the first floor from our canary?
If they are in different rooms with a closed door between them then yes.

Quarantined birds should be in separate rooms.

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Will the GCC be fully vetted before bringing it home?

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Will the GCC be fully vetted before bringing it home?
What would “fully vetted” entail? S/he is coming from a very reputable 30 year standing bird store where the employee I’ve been dealing with was trained by the still existing owner and is still there twenty years later so I trust them. What should I ask to determine vetting? Thank you.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are they doing any bloodwork to determine disease status on the baby? Many pet store birds are actually purchased from bird farms and then just hand fed until weaned by the bird store. The bird store not actually being the breeder of said birds, just the middleman. So there’s no way to know if the baby bird comes from disease free parents (or facility) if they’re not bred by the store Unless the store does blood work on the babies. Many stores will send in blood and test for diseases when they send in blood to get DNA results to determine gender.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That reads funny. Let me see if I can extrapolate further: My local bird store sells Indian ring neck babies. They don’t breed that species in house though. They buy them, as naked little hatchlings, from a breeding farm down in Florida. The hatchlings are flown from FL and are picked up at the airport by the bird store owner. The bird store feeds them and will sell them when they are weaned. However, my bird store sends blood in on all the babies to get them DNA sexed as well as check for diseases before the babies are allowed into the store to safeguard the breeding birds and babies they already have in the store . So anyone purchasing a baby IRN from them knows disease status and gender when they’re purchased.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Got it. That makes sense. I’ll ask them ASAP. I know they’ll do dna testing on request but I don’t know yet about the disease testing. Thank you.