• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Canary and finch together?

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
How big is the cage and what kind of finch?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
What type of canary? What type of finch?

Usually I would give a guarded yes. But honestly I never house mine together. It just works out better for eac species to have their own space.

Grylover

Moving in
How big is the cage and what kind of finch?
i was thinking of a 36” high, 18” by 24” long and a Goudian finch or Zebra finch. I thought the canary would like a companion when I buy him.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Canaries are ok with Gouldians, my Gouldians are afraid of them. I wouldn’t put a zebra with a canary.

Reactions: Ali

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
If the goal is to provide companionship for the canary, it would be better to get two canaries.

If the goal is to enjoy a variety of different birds, it would be better to get two cages.

Most finches and canaries are docile birds that tolerate the presence of other birds without a lot of aggression or territorial behavior. But that doesn't mean they enjoy it that much. It can be very stressful to be housed with a bird that is larger or more active or more vocal.

In a large aviary, the birds can find their own spaces. But in a cage, even a large flight cage, options are much more limited. There is more unavoidable interaction and less ability to escape, if difficulties do occur.

Also, be sure to carefully research any birds before trying to mix them. Some finches, like zebra finches, are assertive or territorial. They are not suitable for mixing with more docile birds, including less aggressive finches.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
If the goal is to provide companionship for the canary, it would be better to get two canaries.
Two male canaries can kill each other. Canaries are highly territorial. Always use caution housing canaries together.