• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Canary and Finch Housing

Plant Lady

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello!
We have 3 birds: Holmes (Zebra Finch) and Maus (Society Finch) and Lucca (male Canary). Holmes was best friends with his buddy, Watson, who sadly passed last year. Maus became his buddy afterward. Then we brought Lucca into our home.

We recently got them a large divided cage. Each side is 32” wide. We would love to open the divider so they could have 64” of flying width, but have read so many conflicting post and articles.Would it do any harm to slide out the divider and see how they do? They have multiple food and water dishes on each end and many perches. We could do so at a time we work from home for a few days in a row to watch for aggression. As we’ve sold our other cages I didn’t want to try to only then put the divider back but have their stress levels high from still seeing each other.
Thank you in advance for any advice!!!

Attachments

Jogging around the block
I would say to try it and see how it goes. I have read conflicting articles too, and what I can say is it does not hurt to try introduce them. I used to have a strangely dominant canary, and he lived in a rather small flight cage with 3 other zebra finches no problem. I tried to introduce another canary when the dominant bird passed, but the zebra finches would chase the new bird onto the cage grate and not let him back up. I introduced those same birds in a larger flight cage later and there was no fighting. I currently have 2 canaries that live in an aviary with a total of 20 other finches (a mix of zebra and society) and there is no fighting. If they get along, great, and if they don't you can just put the divider back.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome! :)

Plant Lady

Checking out the neighborhood
I would say to try it and see how it goes. I have read conflicting articles too, and what I can say is it does not hurt to try introduce them. I used to have a strangely dominant canary, and he lived in a rather small flight cage with 3 other zebra finches no problem. I tried to introduce another canary when the dominant bird passed, but the zebra finches would chase the new bird onto the cage grate and not let him back up. I introduced those same birds in a larger flight cage later and there was no fighting. I currently have 2 canaries that live in an aviary with a total of 20 other finches (a mix of zebra and society) and there is no fighting. If they get along, great, and if they don't you can just put the divider back.
Thank you for the reply! I think we may try next week when we have 5 days largely at home, just to ensure we keep an eye on things. Lucca had an early (and long) molt he is just coming out of. We had the birds in our sunroom which has west, south, and north exposure and far more light hours than what I’ve read they should have) and which got warmer than normal this summer. So we moved them where we could control the lighting better.

He’s finally chirping, doing short songs, and starting to be back to his normal self, so the chance of success should be better if he isn’t uncomfortable. I will update with how it goes! Thanks again.