• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Canaries

Status
Not open for further replies.

oddbird

Walking the driveway
I have a chance to get three canaries ,one male & two females ,supposedly the male & one female are a bonded pair..

i have my big flight cage ready & no birds, but i heard or read somewhere that its not good to keep three birds ,or even four birds together (finches & canaries)

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
That is a fine ratio, don't want more than one boy but you may have as many girlies as you like.

The girls you will find out do chase each other around a bit. So a large cage is needed.

I had 6 girls and one boy in my large flight cage and it was a awesome set up.

oddbird

Walking the driveway
Kristy, Thanks for your help ...i have a large (empty) flight cage i just got ,so i guess i can put the three in there ....will they breed if you dont put a nest in there ? Because this lady says two of them are bonded, but they never had babies for her, she just got them and has no time for them she says...they are red factors & i will need to drive three hours each way to get them ,she said i can have them for $100.00 for all three ,& she said they are healthy...Personally i like the yellows better , but this trio needs a home...

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
They will nest even in the feed cups, I have had many eggs and the females sat but I never had any eggs hatch for some reason.

That is a very good price for three.
I think the girls get over looked and that is too bad as they are excellent companions, they each have thier own personalities.

oddbird

Walking the driveway
Well if i end up getting that trio of Canaries then that book you sent will really come in handy!

B

Beatriz Cazeneuve

Canaries don't bond. Only social, monogamous birds do and canaries are neither, they are territorial and will breed with any bird during breeding season, even more than one. Also, it depends on the breed of the canary whether you can house them together or not. If they belong to a song breed, you have to put the male separate or he will attack the females but if they are type, color or kitchen canaries, you can sometimes get away with it although I don't recommend it (too stressful for them). The hens can be housed together as long as you have as several seed bowls (they only squabble over food).

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Canaries don't bond. Only social, monogamous birds do and canaries are neither, they are territorial and will breed with any bird during breeding season, even more than one. Also, it depends on the breed of the canary whether you can house them together or not. If they belong to a song breed, you have to put the male separate or he will attack the females but if they are type, color or kitchen canaries, you can sometimes get away with it although I don't recommend it (too stressful for them). The hens can be housed together as long as you have as several seed bowls (they only squabble over food).
What about housing three males with no females? I have a male who lives with doves and finches in my aviary. I am moving the doves out and have two new rescue canaries (both males) that I might put in there. Do you think that would be safe? The male canary does beautifully with the society finches and two ringneck doves and the two other canarie do great together.

oddbird

Walking the driveway
years ago i had canaries ,yellow ones, not sure what kind , they lived together in a huge cage & got along fine,i know i had at least one male, not sure if the others were male or female...when i bought them they all came together in the big cage ,i think there were at least four ,then i added a male i had ...i didnt know much back then ...but i do know they all lived together & got along...it was like 20 years ago...so its hard to remember exactly

B

Beatriz Cazeneuve

Yes, most people think of canaries as aviary birds but, in nature, they are territorial and never live in flocks so, although the overbred (type, color and kitchen) have lost a lot of their natural spunk and do resign themselves to live with other birds, it is, at best, a stressful life for them - plus I firmly believe that emulating nature is always the best way in the long run. Also, the canaries I have are Spanish Timbrados and they are very aggressive little things (the more aggressive the canary, the better he will sing) so they would actually kill a female or any other bird you house them with. My canaries live loose in the birdroom so there is plenty of room for all of them not to have to have another bird near and still the males squabble all the time. Let me tell you a story, once I gave away two baby males to a friend of mine and I warned him to get two separate cages but people always think they know more than anybody else becuase they read a few postings in birdsites that tells them differntly and his wife decided that I was wrong, that one of them was a female because it did not sing and that it was OK to leave them together. Now, canaries cannot be visually sexed unless they are in season and I always wait until after their juvenile molt to give them away so, although I've always had an eye for sexing them when babies, it was very possible that I had made a mistake and, even though I told them that housing a male and female together was not a good idea, they did not listen. To make a long story short, the other bird was indeed a male only he wasn't singing at all because, if he had tried, his brother would have attacked him. And they did live together, apparently without a problem BUT, when breeding season came the next year (five months later) and the poor little silent one tried to sing, he got attacked mercilessly and that's when they realized they had been wrong all along and separated them. But, by then, the silent one was practically a skeleton from stress and not eating right (the stronger one was must have been preventing him from it). Thankfully, he recovered completely after a while in his own cage.

Last edited by a moderator:

oddbird

Walking the driveway
wow ! Beatrice, i sent you a PM ,do you have any Spanish T. Canaries for sale ? I am in PA also

B

Beatriz Cazeneuve

I don't sell birds. I give them away for free, even the purebred Spanish Timbrados and even the ones that come from the 2001 Spanish Champion line. But the homes they go to have to be extra good and by that I mean very large flight cages, strict natural daylight schedule, good quality full spectrum lights, excellent diet, supplements, the works! I will be breeding one pair next March to keep the line young but, if I decide to breed two pairs, I might consider giving away a couple of them because two clutches means 8 babies -I don't allow more than one clutch and never more than four eggs per clutch but I never get infertile eggs so it's four eggs = four healthy babies- and I don't want to keep that many. But, I warn you, my Timbrados are Floreados so they are not the usual pretty yellow that most people associate with canaries, they are either green or variegated. I do have a 3 year old all yellow hen with a small black cap that I am thinking of breeding next but I've never bred her before so I don't know what I'll get out of her...

oddbird

Walking the driveway
I have a flight cage (you can see it here : gotchihuahuas - Home -on the birds page) ,i have no birds yet..if you have a canary that needs a home please let me know,female or male is fine,any color is fine also ...

Status
Not open for further replies.