• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Canaries

puchesgirl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lois
Hello, my son found a Canary on July 4th. So far no one has answered adds or FB regarding him being lost. So, we just went out and got a cage, we have him singing now. Where can I go to get general information regarding canaries? Any Information will be appreciated! Thank you!:)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Nat

Moving in
Hey,

very nice of you to welcome this canary in your house. How will you name it?

I do not have a lot of experience with canaries but I read quite a lot.
- Water: would be the best to change it latest every other day
- Food: apart from their seeds, they should be getting fresh fruit and vegetables, if possible every day. Here a list of them:

https://yannisandstella.travel.blog/2021/04/15/fresh-food-for-canaries/(opens in a new tab)

- Baths: they enjoy a lot having baths, so provide the bird with one several times a week
- Cuttlebone or mineral block (for calcium)
- Housing: ideally you can have different perches from different materials and sizes, do not let it in a place with drafts and if you bring the cage in the exterior be sure that it is in a safe place (bigger birds could scare the canary) and not a long time under direct sun without a place with a shadow
- Toys: I am mostly reading that canaries do not play but I am making for them different toys and they seem to enjoy. When I am more confident about this I will share a post

Do you have any specific questions?

Ciao!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi there,
Welcome to the forum!

There are quite a few canary owners on this site who can answer questions.
I have… 10 canaries now, as they tend to grow on you.

I like this blog: Canary Tales

Main thing for health is cleanliness + diet. Make sure you get a quality seed mix that is canary specific. Then add veggies, grains, a teeny bit of fruit, all this together is usually called chop because most of us make big batches and freeze it for convenience.

You can search the forum and find lots of information on chop.