• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Canaries

Jose

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jose
Hi guys
Can anyone explain to me why my male canary keeps sitting in the nest pan and won’t allow other birds near it?

PufF

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sam Chan
He might be incubating the eggs (are there eggs though?) and because of that be defensive because chicks are imprtant.
Few questions,where is the female?How long has there been eggs?How often did this happen?Have you bred before (I assume you haven't) and if you did is this common to the pair or the birds you bred in general?Why did you breed them?
If there are no eggs I don't know.
@Zara
@Hankmacaw
@Ripshod
@finchly

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Jose :)

Some times males get protective of nests too.

@Clairecanary15

Jose

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jose
He might be incubating the eggs (are there eggs though?) and because of that be defensive because chicks are imprtant.
Few questions,where is the female?How long has there been eggs?How often did this happen?Have you bred before (I assume you haven't) and if you did is this common to the pair or the birds you bred in general?Why did you breed them?
@Zara
@Hankmacaw
@Ripshod
@finchly
@Zara
@Hankmacaw
@Ripshod
@finchly
Hi guys
Thanks for your comments, the nest pan is empty and the male hasn’t paired up with a female yet, I’ve bred canaries for many years but never had this happen before. The male is with several other birds but yet to pair up yet.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
They do that sometimes! Maybe he’s planning to ‘own’ that nest soon. :laugh: