• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Canaries should eat pellets? Yes no

Phoe Phoe

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I was under the impression that the small birds (including canaries) do better w a seed diet and should not eat pellets. Something about pellets causing kidney disease. Is this what this forum would suggest also? My canary will eat both, and is currently on a fresh and seed diet. I am interested in a discussion on this topic.

Pippa!

Walking the driveway
Hmmmm. I’ve never heard of pellets causing kidney disease. I personally do not feed my cannery many pellets as he get a very well balanced diet of veggies and seeds.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
My understanding is many of the smaller birds can have kidney issues if fed a lot of pellets. Pellets soak up an awful lot of water which little birds aren’t able to hold a lot of.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
As far as I know, the study that came to this conclusion was conducted on parrotlets. And it was only found to affect the mutations I think. I could be wrong.

I don’t like to feed mine much pellets though. I would rather feed fresh whole food. If you can do that and be diligent about offering a variety, it’s a lot better for them.

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M
I think seeds are better for canaries-but don't hold back on the fresh veg & fruit! :)

Jogging around the block
I feed all my finches and canaries pellets
I have heard that too, as Shezbug said they soak up a lot of water I think is the problem
I give mine some pellets, I mix them in with chop, dry seed mix, and sprouted seed. That is their daily feed, I give them the choice to pick and choose to a point, when they get a little hungry they finished everything up. IMO, pellets alone is dangerous, so is seed alone, I think variety is key.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Canaries do require seeds. But an all seed diet is deficient in certain vitamins that they need (this is true for an all-anything diet, IMO).
If you’re feeding pellets, feed a high quality one.
I think variety is key
This.