• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Canaries and Collard greens

FluffyFeet

Meeting neighbors
I am somewhat new to canary care, as I have only had mine for a couple months. We have a lot of extra collard greens, and know that canaries need greens. We have been buying them kale but I do not want to waste the collard greens if they can have them.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Collard Greens are very high in oxalic acid, which can interfere with calcium absorption.
As are kale, chard, and beet greens so, not much difference between that and the kale you already feed. It would be good to not give those every day and feed leaf lettuce (non-iceberg lettuce). It would be a good idea to give calcium supplements and some sunlight especially if you have hens laying eggs.

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
Also, I don't know if you're in the US, but according to the Environmental Working Group, kale is on the "Dirty Dozen" list for produce with most pesticide on it. So if providing them with kale, I would try to get them organic kale instead (if that's not the case already). Just thought I would mention this because our birds are such tiny creatures with tiny bodies (well, maybe not macaws) :lol: and even small amounts of pesticides could be detrimental to their overall health (as well as ours). Ok, I'm off my little "birdie soap box" now. :D For those who might be interested in reading more about this, here's the link to this info on their site: Dirty Dozen™ Fruits and Vegetables with the Most Pesticides

Reactions: tka

FluffyFeet

Meeting neighbors
Okay, thanks. They already have cuttlebones in their cages and we have a supplement for them that includes calcium also. The room they are in does get some sunlight but not a ton. Once it warms up a bit I might take their cages outside occasionally. I do have one hen but she has not started laying yet, I will make sure and get her some extra calcium in her diet.