• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Canadian (Goose) invasion

samccormack

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Scott
We are going through our annual invasion from those crazy Canadians! :) Normally they just honk a lot and hang out in the city lakes but some birdie has taken up residence in the fountain pools in an office park I walk through on the way to the Bart station. I call him Goosie Goose and he is all by himself and doesn't seem to be very shy. He doesn't move away when you are close to him nor does he hiss. He just looks at you when you talk to him and pokes around in the grass and the pools. Did I mention he is a big guy.
Goosie1.jpg Goosie3.jpg Goosie2.jpg

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
I work by a slough and we get the Canadian geese and the white pelicans plus other migrating birds flying in for a snack and dip.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I like the geese although I know a lot of people do not :(

These were by my patio one day... PB291721.JPG PB291723.JPG

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
He could have been previously owned by someone but flew off when the other geese flew by.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I just love to listen to the sounds they make, especially when flying.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
They are lovely though.

~Drini~

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
He could have been previously owned by someone but flew off when the other geese flew by.
I didn't know that people kept Canadian Geese as pets. I assumed that it wasn't allowed since they're migratory birds.

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia

I didn't know that people kept Canadian Geese as pets. I assumed that it wasn't allowed since they're migratory birds.
Actually believe it or don't our neighbor has ordered some for this summer. We used to have a mallard but she did just this and flew off. Her name was Maggie and she was our little sweetie but boy could she fly! It could also have been a rescue. We had mallard chicks because my father is a contractor and they were blowing up the ground but their were 7 eggs that he saved. We ended up with 3 babies but all died. We were very inexperienced and lived in a tiny townhouse.

~Drini~

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
Actually believe it or don't our neighbor has ordered some for this summer. We used to have a mallard but she did just this and flew off. Her name was Maggie and she was our little sweetie but boy could she fly! It could also have been a rescue. We had mallard chicks because my father is a contractor and they were blowing up the ground but their were 7 eggs that he saved. We ended up with 3 babies but all died. We were very inexperienced and lived in a tiny townhouse.

That's interesting. :wideyed:

Sorry to hear about Maggie. At least she's off with the rest of her mallard flock. Also sorry to hear about the chicks, unfortunately that happens with many animals who've lost their homes.

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
A friend of mine in downtown Toronto has a mating pair of Canada Geese nesting on her balcony every year so she gets to watch the eggs hatch and the pair tend to them day to day. She gets really emotional when they leave the nest and head out to the nearby park.

This year one of her neighbor has been complaining to the management of the building they dislike the noise of the geese honking each morning when they call to each other.

Nature being noisy, go figure. :rolleyes:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Awwww....I love them too and love all these stories! How can you not love them, although they can be mean and territorial, but other than that, what's not to love?;)

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I put the leftover seeds and other bird foods every day in an area in the yard and I never know what type of birds are going to show up to sample the food. There is a covey of quail that lives in the park and comes up to eat the goodies; I get migratory birds all the time and I keep a bird ID tome near the back door to help me find out who they are. This year I plan on planting flowers to attract bees and butterflies as well as some nutritional grasses for the ducks and geese. Can't wait to see who drops in for a bite to eat!

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
I put the leftover seeds and other bird foods every day in an area in the yard and I never know what type of birds are going to show up to sample the food. There is a covey of quail that lives in the park and comes up to eat the goodies; I get migratory birds all the time and I keep a bird ID tome near the back door to help me find out who they are. This year I plan on planting flowers to attract bees and butterflies as well as some nutritional grasses for the ducks and geese. Can't wait to see who drops in for a bite to eat!

If you are planting flowers then hang up a hummingbird feeder, you'll get a randy male who will invite a bunch of hens over to sample the sugar water you put in the feeder. Then you can watch the male chase the other males away, its a real spectator sport. :D

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
For all Canada goose lovers:

Ocean

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
My neighbour has 4 of them as well as some birds from
the Himalayas
:D they are awesome, they are clipped so they can't fly, but they follow you around and nudge your hand when they want to be pet when you go into their yard xD