• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can you tell how old he is?

Lily’s mom

Meeting neighbors
I’m meeting a Senegal cutie this weekend for possible adoption. The current owner said that he got the bird from a lady and the bird never took to him and prefers women. He said that the bird is about 5 years old and I was wondering if people can tell Senegal’s age based on photos. I know it’s not an exact science but rather an educated guess.
I don’t think the owner is lying to me, but it’s possible that he was misinformed himself. The age is not a deal breaker (as long as the bird is not a senior, not ready to lose another bird so soon after my Meyers passed), I just want to be prepared.

Attachments

Lily’s mom

Meeting neighbors
Met the birdo! He’s super cute, was understandably apprehensive about me. BUT the current owner is feeding him a seed diet!!! And he’s in a dark room with no windows :( as soon as I get my foster sun conure to a new place I’m getting him out

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can you get him out sooner and quarantine him?

Lily’s mom

Meeting neighbors
Can you get him out sooner and quarantine him?
I am trying to. The problem is that I’m fostering a sun conure from a bird rescue. I’ve been asking the rescue people to move him for over month and a half. It’s still has not happened. And the conure is on my extra cage. I think I will ask the rescue for another cage this week if they don’t let me take him to a foster home. How does the quarantine work? Can he be in the same room as Lily as long as they don’t touch/ approach each other? Or should I keep him in a separate room? I was going to take him to an avian vet right after getting him.

pawfectly

Walking the driveway
That is one BEAUTIFUL senegal! I hope you bring him home soon.

Qaurantine is essential when you bring home a new bird to add to your flock. It ensures that no diseases are transmitted from the new bird to your flock. As with some diseases, they usually go undetected because birds hide illness very well until later stages. The quarantine time period differs with people - some quarantine for 2 weeks, some for 1 month and others for two.

The ideal period would be one month of quarantine.

During this time, your senegal should be kept in a seperate room as your sun conure. This will keep both the birds safe and give enough time for your senegal to adjust in your new home.

Lily’s mom

Meeting neighbors
That is one BEAUTIFUL senegal! I hope you bring him home soon.

Qaurantine is essential when you bring home a new bird to add to your flock. It ensures that no diseases are transmitted from the new bird to your flock. As with some diseases, they usually go undetected because birds hide illness very well until later stages. The quarantine time period differs with people - some quarantine for 2 weeks, some for 1 month and others for two.

The ideal period would be one month of quarantine.

During this time, your senegal should be kept in a seperate room as your sun conure. This will keep both the birds safe and give enough time for your senegal to adjust in your new home.
Thank you! How about this - if I take him to the avian vet right away and the vet clears him, can the quarantine be cut? Or could he have something that the vet will not catch?