• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can you sprout commercial parrot seed

Biz

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Poo
Hi
I have a lot of leftover commercial parrot seed, which I try to avoid giving my parrots
The seeds are: French White Millet, canary Seed, Millets, grey Sunflower, hulled oats, safflower.

if I can sprout them can I please get instructions on how to do so

anurim

Strolling the yard
I have sprouted seeds from bird mixes before with succes. Here's the video I used:
The are many more methods you can try on youtube, this is the one that has worked for me best :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If they’re fortified it’s recommended that you don’t sprout them. If they are not fortified them they are fine to sprout.

Reactions: Biz

Biz

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Poo
If they’re fortified it’s recommended that you don’t sprout them. If they are not fortified them they are fine to sprout.
How do I know if it’s fortified or not??

CrazyKozmo

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
If they're not fortified, if they do sprout then that will show you the quality of the seeds (if they don't sprout, then the seeds were already dead).

Biz

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Poo
Hi
I have a lot of leftover commercial parrot seed, which I try to avoid giving my parrots
The seeds are: French White Millet, canary Seed, Millets, grey Sunflower, hulled oats, safflower.

if I can sprout them can I please get instructions on how to do so
So I was able to sprout these seeds AND WUITE QUICKLY, WITHIN 3 DAYS but it moulded??? I was so happy to sss sprouts and then I saw disgusting white fluffy mould on it. How do I avoid mould??

i used a plastic boggle and filled half with seed and less than half with watet leaving space for air

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
You may find this link helpful. It provides detailed advice on how to care for the sprouts. Not all seeds are suitable for sprouting.

I will add that I sometimes sprout old seed in potting mix and allow it to grow a bit into short grass type plants. Then I trim it off the top and my finches seem to enjoy carrying it around. It is more of an enrichment toy at that point, but maybe it will help give you ideas.