• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can you keep a single of a type of finch in a mixed aviary?

FinchORI

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ori
Hello! I am new to finches, (I’m getting my first in a few days) and am thinking of possibly getting a mixed aviary sometime in the future. I was wondering if you can keep a single of a type of finch In a mixed non-breeding (all female) group. (Example one owl finch with other pairs of other types of finches) Thanks!

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Depends on the other species of finch.

Owl finches are pretty chill little dudes. They get along well with most other gentle finch species. But there are some aggressive or semi-aggressive finches that are not compatible with gentle finches. And there are some finches that get really aggressive during breeding season only, so they might be okay in a sorority aviary (all one gender), but not okay if kept in pairs.

Do you know what other finches you will be keeping?

FinchORI

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ori
Depends on the other species of finch.

Owl finches are pretty chill little dudes. They get along well with most other gentle finch species. But there are some aggressive or semi-aggressive finches that are not compatible with gentle finches. And there are some finches that get really aggressive during breeding season only, so they might be okay in a sorority aviary (all one gender), but not okay if kept in pairs.

Do you know what other finches you will be keeping?
I don’t know, but some of the finches I have been thinking of keeping in the mixed aviary are Star Finches, Orange cheek waxbills, spice finches, owl finches and possibly canaries. I am getting zebra finches, but I will definitely keep them in a separate cage because they can be bullies sometimes.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I am not familiar with the wax bills, but the other finches you mentioned should all be fine with owl finches.

In my experience finches prefer to flock together with their same species, but if there are no others of the same kind, they will happily hang out with compatible species. I have a mixed aviary with several singles, including a solitary owl finch. They hang out together, eat together and groom each other.

20210927_151800.jpg

20211014_130529.jpg

20220309_142301.jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Destiny Which species do you house in your aviary? I spot some I know but others I don´t.
Who is the little orangey one in the first pic on the shelf to the left?
And the blue breasted one on the second pic?

@FinchORI How big will your aviary be? The larger the aviary usually equals less chance of problems.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
@Destiny Which species do you house in your aviary? I spot some I know but others I don´t.
Who is the little orangey one in the first pic on the shelf to the left?
And the blue breasted one on the second pic?
The little guy with the orange belly is a zebra waxbill. He is next to a yellow-backed Lady Gouldian Finch. He is also visible in the last picture in the foreground, looking a little fluffy and wet, because he just finished bathing. Different angle, so his orange belly is harder to see. Here's another picture of Pip:

20211012_164027.jpg

The blue-bellied bird is a Cordon Blue finch. He is also in the last picture, but caught in motion, so he only appears as a light blue blur behind my owlfinch. It's really hard to get non-blurry pictures of the finches. They are tiny and very fast!

20211012_164201.jpg

The other finches are society finches, two biege and white pied society finches and one dark European society finch. And two more Lady Gouldian finches - one that is blue-backed and the other is solid white.

20211012_164118.jpg