• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can you freeze dry dog food?

Mitzi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle "Mitzi"
Can you freeze dry dog food to extend expiration date. If can be frozen can you freeze in ziplock freezer bag and just thaw out a weeks worth?

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I Do you not know how much dog food do you have and you would be subject to freezer burn

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
By the way if it is close to expiration date it is not as fresh and already Subject to some deterioration

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I sure that you can

Mitzi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle "Mitzi"
I contact the manufacturer and they said " Unfortunately, we do not suggest freezing our products, as it could potentially affect the quality and nutrients within the food. For the best quality and freshness, we suggest storing in a cool, dry place, away from sunlight".

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Maybe respond back and ask about putting it in the fridge instead?

Otherwise, their suggestion is probably the best. I use the Gamma Vittles Vault containers that are stackable. Tractor Supply has some with birds on them! (mine aren't that fancy... just standard ones from Petco or Costco...) I use them for dog, cat and bird food! (I probably have 3 different sizes and styles...)

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Can you freeze dry dog food to extend expiration date. If can be frozen can you freeze in ziplock freezer bag and just thaw out a weeks worth?
I don't see why not. Manufacturers will say it's not recommended, but that's just because of freezer burn potential. Anything can get freezer burn.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If it’s dry food like biscuits then they will soak up moisture.
Do you have a vacuum sealer? I’ve found I could keep dry dog food fresher for longer if I packed it in those vacuum sealed bags. I had to travel a bit a few years ago and used this method- I actually found a pack that had been forgotten about a few months after I no longer needed to travel with the dogs and when opened, that bag smelled fresher than the bag I’d had opened for a fortnight and kept in an air tight container.