• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can you actually keep fish without heat/filters?

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
I've read some articles that say you can, but I am sorta skeptical. If it is true, then that would be great, but..... :hmmm:

Ephy

Walking the driveway
While you probably could for some of the hardy type of fish, it certainly wouldnt be the best or the healthiest life for the fish.

Filters and heaters are necessary to keep the water clean and the temperature natural for the fish environment and without heaters the temperature can fluctuate quite a bit.

Fish probably wont live as long or have bacteria and other infections will develop.

In the end, whats the point in keeping fish if you cant provide a safe and healthy home for them?

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I wouldn't but there are ways you can do it. After all, there are no filters in the wild! But there are a variety of different reasons the water quality stays how it does in the wild as it is a fully developed ecosystem. Replicating this in a tank effective if incredibly difficult and pretty much impossible in a standard home aquarium.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
"Is A Filter Necessary For Fish Tank?
Freshwater ponds and lakes of the world are large enough to achieve an ecological balance. By that, we mean that they are able to reach equilibrium whereby the fish population adjusts according to conditions and fish excreta is all dealt with biologically and there is no build-up of ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates making the water poisonous to fish.

Aquariums, on the other hand, are a microcosm of the natural world and need a great deal of help to achieve any kind of equilibrium. Without external help, the water would very soon become foul and kill all the fish."

Just a little something I found

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
It would be very difficult to do so, and you'd have to have everything very controlled and fine-tuned. It would be considerably easier to just purchase the appropriate filtration and heating equipment.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It would be very difficult to do so, and you'd have to have everything very controlled and fine-tuned. It would be considerably easier to just purchase the appropriate filtration and heating equipment.
Not to mention cheaper. I've had a bioactive tank in the past and it's a lot of time, work, and money to get them to flourish and find a balance!

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you chose naturally cold water species, like white clouds, zebra danios or goldfish (need huge amounts of space), you could dispense with the heater if your home is at room temperature.

The filter is much more dicey. The easiest way to ensure an adequate biological filter in an artificial environment is with a filter. The nitrifying bacteria also live on décor, rocks, etc., but most live in the highly oxygenated filter.

I'm unaware of any proof (there are some unsubstantiated claims that may be true) of anyone establishing the full nitrogen cycle in an aquarium, even large public aquariums. Most get ammonia > nitrite > nitrate. They don't get nitrate > nitrogen gas, as happens in nature.

Anyway, forgoing a filter would entail tons of extra work & likely daily water changes (enough but not too much), depending on the bioload of the aquarium. I'm not sure why one would bother.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If you chose naturally cold water species, like white clouds, zebra danios or goldfish (need huge amounts of space), you could dispense with the heater if your home is at room temperature.

The filter is much more dicey. The easiest way to ensure an adequate biological filter in an artificial environment is with a filter. The nitrifying bacteria also live on décor, rocks, etc., but most live in the highly oxygenated filter.

I'm unaware of any proof (there are some unsubstantiated claims that may be true) of anyone establishing the full nitrogen cycle in an aquarium, even large public aquariums. Most get ammonia > nitrite > nitrate. They don't get nitrate > nitrogen gas, as happens in nature.

Anyway, forgoing a filter would entail tons of extra work & likely daily water changes (enough but not too much), depending on the bioload of the aquarium. I'm not sure why one would bother.
Yeah even in my bioactive I still used a filter!

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
So, with cold water fish, are there any that could live in down to 60 degrees Fahrenheit? In winter, in my house, we keep it 65 degrees during the day and 60 degrees at night. In summer, in my house at night it we air condition it to 77 degrees, and during the day to 80 degrees. Are there any fish that wouldn't need heating in these conditions, or is that impossible?

Reactions: Ali

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
Do the rod-shaped fish tank heater/thermostat combos that are like $15 actually work? I was expecting it to be way more expensive.

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
5 gallon or 10 gallon for a single male betta? Maybe I should rename this thread: "Questions about every fish subject."

Reactions: Ali

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Short answer - No, it is a bad idea.

Long answer - Maybe, but it won't save you any work or be able to support a normal population of fish.

I've seen people do small setups with invertebrates, like shrimp or snails. Those are easier to keep alive without filters. Fish put more strain on water quality and greatly benefit from a consistent temperature and some kind of mechanical filtration. Salt water tanks absolutely require both. I've never heard of anyone trying to keep saltwater fish without basic equipment. It would be a terrible waste of time and fish.

The main problem with not using equipment is that it is all serving an important purpose. If you remove the heater, you are limiting your options to fish who can tolerate cold water and rapid temperature changes. If you remove the filter, you will need to check water quality and do more frequent water changes to avoid stagnant water and waste accumulation. You will also be significantly limiting the number and size of the fish that can be stocked in the tank.

If you want to keep a couple of little white cloud minnows in a bioactive tank filled with plants, and you are willing to do daily water changes ... go for it. But if you are hoping to keep a goldfish alive in the classic round fishbowl .... Please don't. That's murder.

Feather

Avenue Veteran
Even though they're small, fish still deserve the best care we can give them. That's just part of choosing to become a pet owner of any species. Don't cut corners on their lives.

I would never condone putting a betta in anything smaller than ten gallons. They're very active and will use whatever space you give them... I have mine in a 36 gallon tank and she swims every inch of the thing. My first betta lived in a 20 gallon long and I taught him tricks such as swimming through a hoop and jumping on command.

Just because betta fish are hardy enough that they can sometimes survive in the tiny unfiltered, unheated tanks companies often push for them it doesn't mean they're thriving.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
To see reliable temperature ranges & fish sensitivity, please use Seriously Fish. Most other sites say what you want to hear. Their search engine I don't find great. If you use Google and do this

site:seriouslyfish.com zebra danio

you'll get results from that site for zebra danios. It's a site specific google search - very useful.

I'd not trust a $15 heater. All of mine are made in Germany or Italy. I have back ups made in Poland, just in case. Many cheap heaters malfunction & hurt/ kill fish. Some people have even experienced live current in the water. For small set ups, the most expensive part is invariably the heater.

Now may not be the right time to get fish, but you may at some later time.

:) :fish::fish::fish:

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you have the old Italian made ones? If so, those are my Italian heaters. German = Eheim Jager. Polish = Cobalt. Unfortunately Aqueon shipped their heaters out about a year & a half ago. So I'll not be buying any more.