• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can you actually keep fish without heat/filters?

Coradams

Meeting neighbors
I can answer this because it happened to me. I had a 30 gallon aquarium which I was planning to convert into a palludarium so I was letting the fish just live out their lives. I was down to two goldfish. The filter went out. I was hoping that the goldfish would be big enough by the time the weather became warm enough to add to the small goldfish pond in the backyard. What surprised me were the plants! They took off in a big way. The two fish did fine for a long time although I did lose one at about the six month mark. (I honestly can't say the conditions of the tank is what killed this fish. I buy the 30 cent feeder goldfish from the pet store that are bred for food, not longevity. Many of them don't live long under the best of conditions.) The other lived fine for over a year until I could move her (him?) to the pond. The tank seemed healthy and never smelled bad as you might expect from uncirculated water. Based on my experience, if you want to try this I recommend:

a very large tank
only 1 very hardy fish
LOTS of plants
no expectations of aesthetics as the tank will be overrun with green

I work at a children's science center and I briefly considered recreating this as an ecological exhibit but decided against it as I don't think it would support enough diversity to make a good example.

The aquarium is now a very healthy palludarium with both aquatic and terrestrial plants, a few fish and fiddler crabs. Oh, and a in-tank filter that doubles as a beautiful waterfall feature.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
This stuff is fascinating and is used in a few places https://ceres.org.au/about/community-groups/aquaponics/

I had forgotten about the above place (CERES) with their set up but I just came across it while looking for another place here in Victoria that has an average sized above ground pool set up with plants and fish that is totally self sufficient.... I can not find the place I am looking for but will post it if I come across it at a later date. We came across a lot of really interesting eco friendly places while homeschooling many years ago.

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
I know someone who kept a goldfish in one of those depressing little bowls for four years. It lived but I very much doubt it was happy. :(

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
You mean this?

I keep my tanks without heaters... might use a heater to cycle a tank... but I go heaterless otherwise. Only fish I have ATM are kuhli loaches, pygmy cories and a BN pleco... plus shrimp! I do use filters though... or, a filter.... for that tank.

I've got another tank without filter and heater. No water movement to be exact. Just shrimp in there.

Blueberry

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lulu
You can create a natural filter with plants- creating your own biological ecosystem. There are a lot of diy YouTube’s on how to do this. As for the heater it depends on the fish and your room temperature.

b6lego

Meeting neighbors
Of course! My brother keeps guppies in our patio on a large tub. He doesn't have heaters or a filter but the fish are still thriving.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It would depend on what type of fish you where planning.
Would depend on the climate on where you live.
It would depend on your experience.
It would depend on your level of experience in keeping fish.
But yes it can be done if researched and planned.
You do need something to filter the water however though biologicaly like live rock in a reef tank or plants in a trop tank.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shego titanium heaters are hard to beat they do need a controler however but a controler with an alarm isnt a bad thing.

Pippa!

Walking the driveway
I think it’s ok for some types of fish but you should try to avoid it. Betta fish a most commonly kept without filters which is not good because they can get fin rot.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I think it’s ok for some types of fish but you should try to avoid it. Betta fish a most commonly kept without filters which is not good because they can get fin rot.
If you have good water to start with, and you do frequent enough water changes (1-3 times a week), that may be fine....

But I know that many don't... instead, they just top up on evaporated water... or do full cleans of the container they are in... neither of which are good... :(