• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can/will they overeat and get fat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prettyinpink

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica
I was just wondering if birds overeat? I mean it just feels like shes eating all day, but that might just be because i have loofa... Who now feels like she's undereating :lol:

I was just curious if they overeat. Everything is so different, learning as we go. Yes i did do research, just concerned about every little thing. :hug8: my baby doll:hehe:

Thanks!!!!!:dance5:

love4birds

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
Yes, they can overeat, especially if they're bored and lack stimulation. I know of several birds that were kept in tiny cages most of their lives and never let out... and became very overweight because of it.

However, they also seem to eat constantly when they're young, so I wouldn't worry about Tia:)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would imagine that all parrots can but I wouldn't worry about it at such a young stage. Let her eat as much as she needs and wants, she is growing. She will lose her baby fat as she becomes more active. Just enjoy her and don't forget to have a scale to monitor her weight.:)

Last edited:

luvsgreys

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
I would imagine that all parrots can but I wouldn't worry about it at such a young stage. Let her eat as much as she needs and wants, she is growing. She will lose her baby fat as she becomes more active. Just enjoy her and don't forget to have a scale to monitor her weight.:)
I agree, I worry that Emmett plays with his toys too much and doesn't eat enough! lol. He did lose some weight after he fledged but that is normal and now he is maintaining. I weigh him every morning (when his crop is empty) and I keep them in a journal. We are due to go back to re check his culture/cbc in June and I am going to make sure to discuss diet with his vet while we are there. All babies are different though, some eat a bunch, some eat less but more throughout the day. I change his papers every day so I can monitor what he's tossed out vs what he's eaten and his droppings.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
They can definitely over eat but if you try to feed them a well rounded diet and give them plenty of exercise they should be fine.

prettyinpink

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica
Great thanks everyone! I'm assuming since she's flighted that'll help her even more.

Does anyone happen to have a chart, so I know what weight gain is normal? I also need one for loofa since he's not going in anymore.

Thanks again!

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A chart is not needed. It's all relative and will differ between each parrot because some are built larger some are built smaller. Your vet should be able to tell you whether she is a normal healthy weight and then you can gage it from there.:)

prettyinpink

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica
Ok great, was just wondering because Ive seen others ask about weight.

The vet said they're healthy, if i ask her about the weight can she give me what weight she should be while growing? Or?

Thanks again !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.