• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can wild birds eat expired pellets?

Raisins

Sitting on the front steps
So, a few days ago, when I was taking the pellets out of the fridge I've realized that they had expired by 11 days. I was horrified that I hadnt noticed it before and fed it to my birds. Thankfully, they seem okay and they didn't get indigestion. I was gonna throw it away, but my mum told me not to waste it and put it outside for the wild birds, so I did that.

Within a few hours, a flock of jackdaws were upon it. They ate a some, but left a lot of the pellets behind. Is it okay for them? They eat bugs and roadkill, but I don't know if it's the same as eating expired parrot food. They are generally more interested in the cat food we leave for the strays. As of now, the pile of expired pellets is still outside and I don't know if I leave it there or clean it up.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
They’ll be fine! They certainly eat much worse :roflmao:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The best by date is usually not an expiration date. It's basically the date that a company can stand behind the product as providing everything they claim. Usually it's the date that some vitamins and minerals may start to break down or oils will start to turn. Usually it is still fine to feed another 3-6 months without any I'll effects.

As long as it doesn't smell rancid, it is safe for the outside birds, and likely your birds too :) Just like our birds though, wild birds are neophobic and may not readily accept them as they aren't used to them as a food source.

Kevin huu

Moving in
Real Name
Kevin huu
The best by date is usually not an expiration date. It's basically the date that a company can stand behind the product as providing everything they claim. Usually it's the date that some vitamins and minerals may start to break down or oils will start to turn. Usually it is still fine to feed another 3-6 months without any I'll effects.

As long as it doesn't smell rancid, it is safe for the outside birds, and likely your birds too :) Just like our birds though, wild birds are neophobic and may not readily accept them as they aren't used to them as a food source.