• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can we talk routines during HORMONES

FLmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Because we have a great routine that works for all of us but it only works when he is not a hormonal maniac :banghead:

when he gets like this we cant do anything with him. He has to stay in his cage. That then makes night time bed time routine an impossible issue. So really all it can be is sit in your cage all day then roll into your nighttime space and cover and that’s about it until he stops being a maniac. Please help me with some HORMONAL time things we can do that give him the out time he needs without making his hormones rage even more. All he wants when he gets out of his cage is to chase feet until he gets done feet to surf on. Needless to say that’s very dangerous and even ifwe sit and allow it that only makes his hormones rage even stronger.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
What species is involved, how long have they been with you and what's the relationship and routine normally like?

Reactions: tka

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Oh shoot sorry. I’ve been around here a long time I’ve just been gone for a while. I forgot I sorta had to reintroduce myself.

Kai is a white bellied caique. We have had him since he was a fully weened baby. 12 years now. His normal routine is he hangs out on various play stands throughout the house and is only caged when we go out or at night.

that’s impossible right now because all he does is fly to the floor to foot surf and chase feet. If I let him have his way it only makes hormones worse.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I put my budgies to bed early. Not sure if that would work with a caique. Unfortunately, it's no longer working with the budgies. Tonight, for the first time ever, I saw a budgie humping something. Completely unabashed, it was my baby, Ernest Earnest. And he sure lived up to his name. Made me feel like an inadequate caregiver. He clearly wants something he can't have. I'm following this thread. I want them to be happy. :sad9:

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My conures are getting 14 hours of complete darkness now as one of them is very hormonal.
When out i have all kinds covered and blocked to stop cavity seeking.
Have moved toys around the cage a bit even though i havent seen any cage aggression i move her stuff around periodically anyway so thought now would be a good time to do it.
Have seen some improvement she is still a bit kranky though.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
For my non-ekkie birds, I cut down on fruit even more as the sugar definitely does not help with the hormones.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Is there any way to make him less comfortable? Rearrange his cage or put a new toy in it that makes him less hormonal? Although Bailey is a tiel, when he gets this way, I pull out Mr Turkey and other things he hates and instead of attacking my feet, I give him the forbidden sheet of paper. When he chews it, I tell him no. He looks at me and continues chewing it. And he is not near any mirrors.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I still have more questions than answers here, but will try to articulate them when I have more time.

In the mean time I have a simple suggestion to try (and it requires a leap of faith that you won't lose a toe) -- see what happens if you're barefoot. My middle guy will bother my feet if I'm wearing thick black socks, but leaves them alone when I'm barefoot.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
I just want to say if I were you I would carry a towel. I would use it as a defense against feet bites. Ouch.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I was also going to suggest to 'change' your feet.
Don't wear what he likes. Do different shoes/slippers/boots make any difference?

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Well guys I’ve tried just about everything. He does get the required rest time BUT he’s not resting. I hear him in his cage whistling and laughing and moving around so although he is in total darkness and covered he is still not
Sleeping.

my feet are his attraction this season. That makes it super hard to limit my exposure to him. The moment I walk into his view he does a nose dive for my feet. Not to bite them. He just surfs and sits on them but unfortunately this only ignites his hormones even more. We have had to completely change his entire night time routine because he simply just won’t ever wind down If I’m home.

I will try the switching stuff around idea. I’ll also try to make my feet less attractive somehow these birds man I tell ya they are somethin

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Maybe try a small sleep cage, it might help. I don't know about the feet situation. We have a M2 at my local rescue who makes a beeline to bite feet. I sit on a chair and lift my feet up to get away from him. I can see how it would be a real pain