• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can we still train Cleo for free flight?

ClumsyCleo

Moving in
Hey there everyone! Our Cleo is 4 months old, and we want to know if/how we can train her to fly outside without flying to get away from us. It's our second week with her, and she will willingly fly to our hand with millet. She isn't use to us yet, however, and she gets aggravated if we try to interact with her without food.

We have a clicker and we've been trying to train her with that as well.

Thanks for reading!!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Although people do free fly cockatiels it is very dangerous- it’s dangerous for the bigger birds too who are much more suited to it for reasons of safety. There are different recommended criteria for different species with free flight and I believe that flying a single cockatiel is really not ideal. Most people have more than enough space in their homes to allow their cockatiel to get adequate exercise so I feel the benefits are not worth the risk to your bird.
I looked into doing a course (not the one taught by you tube stars), but after chatting to others who free fly their macaws I decided it was not worth the risk to my bird. He has a harness and flies as much as he wants inside.

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Please realize that recall (coming back when called) is the least of your worries with outdoor free flight. Cockatiels are small prey animals, and they're protected outside by staying in large flocks. Without a group of buddies to fly with, she'd be in constant danger. Hawks and owls inhabit even the most urban areas, and birds you don't necessarily think of as a threat... seagulls, crows, mockingbirds etc., will chase strange birds for miles. Without buddies to help keep a lookout, she's a sitting duck.

Dogs and cats are always a risk, too, as are cars and bodies of water, as birds that are spooked often fly until they're exhausted and then land in the worst possible places when they simply can't go any further.

Heck, the air currents themselves are dangerous to a free flying bird. My quaker is a very skillful flier at home, but flying indoors is like swimming in a pool... no matter how good you are, it won't prepare you for swimming in the ocean. Even a light breeze, to a small bird, is essentially a nasty riptide that can whisk them away in a moment. It may not be that they don't want to come back to you, sometimes they just can't.

I've thought about free flying, and if I had a large colorful bird like a macaw, one that is visible (and therefore findable) from a long way off and big enough to make predatory birds think twice, I might consider it (and even then, I'd seek out other free fliers to provide my bird with the safety of numbers), but my little tiel? All by himself? No way.

ClumsyCleo

Moving in
Thank you guys so much for your well thought out responses. It definitely made us think more realistically about the risks at hand with free flight. My fiance and I are just very excited to take Cleo with us to the park, so I guess we'll just look into investing in a good harness once she is tame.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If your cage or travel cage is easily put in the car you could take her to the park in that until you get a harness and train her to wear it...... I often take my guy to the park or other quiet outdoor places in his carrier.

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Tiels are not ideal candidates for free flight training alone. It can be done, but is usually done when they are really young around the home , while their still being handfed. Also in a place with no predators. Outdoor aviary or free flight with a friendly bird of another species. There is always danger with free flight. Moreso with cockatiels. In the wild they are protected by their flock and are the fastest flying birds in australia. They won't be the fastest flying birds unless they can fly daily for food however (born and living in the wild).

Eagles hawks and other predator birds can easily snatch your cockatiel. There has been reports of them snatching small parrots on harnesses on our shoulders ! If there are predators in your area , I suggest using a cage or carrier to bring your tiel to the park , much safer.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Cockatiels are not free fly birds simply because of their natural flocking behaviour. It's not if you will lose her it's when. Especially given your experience and skill level. A professional trainer would not even consider free flying any bird until it had a very strong trusting relationship and a great understanding of that birds body language and predictability. This takes years to achieve.

Fly your bird inside a big warehouse of gymnasium where it is "safe" to do so. Harness training is also an option.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I do not believe they (cockatiels) are anywhere near the fastest flying birds here as the Peregrine falcon (for example) is certainly much much faster (more than triple the speed) as I am sure many other birds of prey are, however, cockatiels are very good fliers in the wild!

I really can not believe how many people on you tube advocate for free flight for such small birds- I really feel it is seriously irresponsible! So very sad for those who watch and see it and think that they can learn from you tube.... none of these people seem to tell the viewers how dangerous it is nor do they divulge how many things you need to take into account for it to be as safe as possible for the birds. Some of the main safety, training and skill set requirements needed to know and be knowledgeable about have been listed here in this thread, however, so many other very important safety requirements are not even mentioned here- such an in depth topic that no you tuber should be sharing without drumming the dangers into the viewers head....... I really hate to think how many people would be of the thought that they can do what they see online with their own bird without even being aware of the serious dangers and chances being taken.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Yes I probably shouldn't have said that.. I thought it was the fastest flying parrot in australia not bird .. I will edit my post.. But i see I cannot no longer edit it lol.... Some websites do claim they are perhaps the fastest in australia.. Not anywhere else.. But they are probably incorrect, I see that peregrine falcon is way faster when they do a speed dive .. yikes ! I am not sure if they are in australia however.

"Cockatiels are super fast flyers, perhaps the fastest in Australia. They can fly up to 43 miles (70 kilometers) per hour! Cockatiels are rarely found alone. Flocks from ten to several hundreds of birds can be seen flying long distances for food and water."

Even though they are fast flyers, that is only WILD cockatiels and they have some safety in the wild with numbers. In the wild cockatiels do not live as long as in captivity. Also in the wild they are nomads, with little sense of direction, flying with their friends. They are not good candidates for free flying.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@Tara81 I helped rehab a peregrine falcon when I was a teenager, it was found unwell in the local paddocks near the creek. He lived in a spare bedroom while he was recovering and hung out with us in our car during the day while we were out and about, he came everywhere with us and was actually pretty chill and friendly and one day when he was feeling better he took off out the car window and returned to the trees in the paddock he was found in. I only found out years later that what we did was really not acceptable as these birds are supposed to go to special places to be rehabbed- oops.

Check out the little red rumps and swift parrots, they are pretty fast and spectacular fliers..... but I think most of the smaller birds like cockatiels are fairly quick. And, while we are talking about cute birds - I must say that I do not think I have seen a pic of your cutie pie for while hint hint :D

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
I know her cage is a little bare.. but it's to prevent her from trying to mate with her toys.. I've had to remove alot of hanging toys in her cage because she tries to mate with them unless they are next to a small perch or food dish.. lol. Besides she out all day anyways. :D In the first photo she was contemplating flying on the ipad.. She loves playing with it.. But I disinfect it now with disinfectant wipes and worry that could harm her after its dried.. I am not sure of the risk. So i keep her away from it now. Pinto and Poncho are already asleep so I will have to take photos of them tomorrow ;D

Attachments

Last edited:

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
oh and btw we need more photos of BERT.. I never get to see photos of BERT ! But i dont check the macaw forums regularly .. Although they are very beautiful ! I tend to stick with what I know to help others ;D

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

New ones posted today ;)

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Burt is soo beautiful and handsome ! I wish I had a macaw .. and wasn't afraid of their powerful beaks haha ! :D I gave alsing her evening foraging dish with some veges,pellets and strawberry heres a video :D