• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can we have an "articles" section?

DesertBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've seen this on some other forums, and I think it's a really great idea. It would be a section where people can write articles about anything parrot related. It could be about specific parrot species, reviewing parrot products, instructions on how to do something, etc. It's a great way for people to share information and knowledge, without actually starting a thread.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I think a thread is a better way to share information, personally. Look at some of the stickies on the forums, for eg the common health problems for each species, they are all unlocked, so people can contribute to the original information. If someone knows something that was missed on any sticky or thread, they can contribute below it, and usually that information later gets given credit by another person or by way of ¨likes¨.
I added to the lovebird common health problems sticky with more info, also there´s one sticky in the Breeder forum that a handful of experienced breeders have contributed to making for a great source of information written and all agreed upon by more than just one person.
There have been times when I´ve given advice to someone and forgotten to mention something and someone else will come along after and say it, so it´s helpful to have the group effort so that the person reading gets as much info as possible.

It could be about specific parrot species
We have the Good the bad and the ugly threads where we all contribute to give info about the species we live with. You will also find other stickies in each of the species forums with other info like health problems, Ekkie forum has quite a few stickies with different topics covered.

reviewing parrot products
The marketplace, and Toys and cages forums are full of threads reviewing cages, toys, subscription boxes, foods, you just have to run a search. Feel free to write up a thread over there if you wanted to share your opinions on something :)

instructions on how to do something,
There are lots of DIY threads with instructions on how to make things in the sub forum of the Toys and Cages forum, or if you mean like how to train, there are threads in the Training court, clicker training info etc. There are guides on what to do with new birds over in Bird boulevard. There are tips over in feathered food court on how to change foods or introduce pellets. I have seen threads on how to detail clean or deep clean a bird cage over in one of the forums too. Usually a search will bring up what you look for, and the threads are all open so you can contribute to them.

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
How would it be different than a thread?
It's different because instead of pages and pages of information mixed in with other comments, like the threads that we have stickied, it's just one page. The information is quickly and easily accessible. Sometimes, threads also start as one thing, and then become something else. Or the original question isn't answered, because it turns out that the problem is something different. Many times I have searched for certain information, and then had to go through 10 different threads that were supposed to be about that topic, but then weren't.
The articles are just a much easier way to find exactly what you're looking for, without spending a bunch of time searching.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
Many people come on here and instead of looking up articles ask the questions that could be answered by looking on the search.

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
@DesertBird How does the board verify the veracity/accuracy of the content of one of these articles? We get enough BAD information as it is.
You could set it so only people that have been members for a certain amount of time and write them.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
That would not be a guarantee. I believe that if the forum took on editorial responsibility, it could be sued for bad information.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I will say I don't hate the idea only because we have stickies that basically serve the same purpose now. However it definitely adds additional work requirements on staff and a whole different realm of potential issues that we would need to think about. It's good food for thought! I just don't know that we are currently at a place for it!

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I don't see a need for this. Post your threads on various topics and enjoy the ensuing discourse.