• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can two male canaries ever live together?

Alyn

Moving in
I am new to this forum and have a lot of questions. My husband got me two beautiful male (at least we were told they were both males) red factor canaries for Christmas. The manager at the pet store told him that they have been together in one cage for several months with no problems and we could continue to house them together. So far, they seem to be doing okay, however, I have noticed some squabbling and today one was chasing the other more than usual, but they generally seem to get along. Neither one will sing, but they chatter to each other a lot. Interestingly, when I play a canary singing video, they seem to get more aggressive with each other and chirp a lot, but still won't sing. I read that the red factors don't sing as much and was wondering if that was the reason or maybe because there are two, or both males? As you can tell, I am totally new to canaries and would appreciate any advice.
I was also wondering about what kind of schedule to keep for them. I cover them at night at about 6 and uncover about 8. Is that okay, or should I be doing something else?

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
They may still be very young. I expect the squabbles will only increase as they get older. 14 hours is a little too long, try for 10-12. You may need copious cage decoration to create blinds for them until you can separate them into their own spaces.

@finchly knows more than I do...

Ocha_Tuna

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Raymond
Oh unfortunately canary males will fight one another. Thats actually one of the reason they sing: to mark their territory and warn off other males. If they live in a spacious large aviary with lots of females there can still be peace (especially if you also put more than 2 males- where they will be too indifferent to fight)