• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can Sun conure live with Blue fronted amazon or Yellow naped amazon

Shriya

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone,
Really need some advice from you all. I have a Sun Conure. His name is Honey. He is 2 years old now. I wish to keep one more parrot like Blue fronted amazon or Yellow naped amazon. Just want to know will they get along well? I have a big cage so cage size isn't an issue. Is there any other parrot that I can keep with Honey?
Please help!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You cannot house them together; there is far too much of a size difference, and both conures and amazons can be territorial.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The difference in beak size means that these birds must not share a cage. If they get on they may be able to have out of cage time but if they don't, they need separate out of cage times. An Amazon's much larger beak could badly injure a small conure. Fights and injuries can happen quickly and you will not be able to intervene in time.

If you want a friend for your sun conure, get a similarly sized conure. They aren't guaranteed to get on but at least will have the same language and be of similar size.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I have a Jenday conure and Blue Fronted Amazon. My BFA is not aggressive to the conure but does not wish to be close to him.
I would never ever consider putting them in the same cage. They would need supervision if let out of cages together, especially if the conure was wanting to be by the BFA.
They could keep each other company from within their own separate cages but do not try for more than that.

Shriya

Meeting neighbors
You cannot house them together; there is far too much of a size difference, and both conures and amazons can be territorial.
Ok. Thank you so much for clarifying :)

Last edited:

Shriya

Meeting neighbors
The difference in beak size means that these birds must not share a cage. If they get on they may be able to have out of cage time but if they don't, they need separate out of cage times. An Amazon's much larger beak could badly injure a small conure. Fights and injuries can happen quickly and you will not be able to intervene in time.

If you want a friend for your sun conure, get a similarly sized conure. They aren't guaranteed to get on but at least will have the same language and be of similar size.
Thank you so much for your suggestions. Will definitely think about a conure now :)

Shriya

Meeting neighbors
I have a Jenday conure and Blue Fronted Amazon. My BFA is not aggressive to the conure but does not wish to be close to him.
I would never ever consider putting them in the same cage. They would need supervision if let out of cages together, especially if the conure was wanting to be by the BFA.
They could keep each other company from within their own separate cages but do not try for more than that.
Ok. Thank you for sharing your experience :)

Shriya

Meeting neighbors
I have one more query.. Is there any small size parrot that can learn to talk? Just curious to know..

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
I have one more query.. Is there any small size parrot that can learn to talk? Just curious to know..
Budgies can talk, but need to be in a separate cage then any other species of bird.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I've had (at separate times) three male budgies that were excellent talkers.
I have a male Hahns Macaw who talks, but more limited vocabulary than the budgies. These are very nippy and temperamental birds so I would only recommend them to experienced dedicated people.
I never really try/train to get anybody to talk, it's just what they pick up from me jabbering away at them daily.

Shriya

Meeting neighbors
I've had (at separate times) three male budgies that were excellent talkers.
I have a male Hahns Macaw who talks, but more limited vocabulary than the budgies. These are very nippy and temperamental birds so I would only recommend them to experienced dedicated people.
I never really try/train to get anybody to talk, it's just what they pick up from me jabbering away at them daily.
Sorry I didn't get it. Budgies are the temperamental ones or Hahns Macaw?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Sorry I didn't get it. Budgies are the temperamental ones or Hahns Macaw?
She means Hahns can be tempermental.

All parrots have the capacity to talk, from budgies to conures to cockatiels on up. Not all of them are as interested, though ;) Even among the "best" talkers - Amazons, Greys, etc, not all will talk.

Shriya

Meeting neighbors
She means Hahns can be tempermental.

All parrots have the capacity to talk, from budgies to conures to cockatiels on up. Not all of them are as interested, though ;) Even among the "best" talkers - Amazons, Greys, etc, not all will talk.
Oh ok. Got it :) Thanks for your response :)