• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can someone compare a P'let vs a Tiel ownership?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calift

Moving in
I don't have a bird yet (had a budgie for many years who died).

I am interested in getting one in the Spring. Both Cockatiels and Parrotlets are very appealing to me....but I want to know from you guys what P'lets are really like (aside from reading about their care and needs online).

Anyone own both and can attest to personality traits that may differ?

I want a bird that isn't too demanding, but still interactive, and social. I loved my budgie, but she wasn't that smart. An intelligent, affection bird would be nice too ... but these thoughts just lead to bigger species which I should not even consider :huh::cool:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you considered a green cheek conure? They are in the same size range as a 'tiel, and they are smart. Of course, the cockatiel is generally the most mellow and sweet-tempered of the birds you've mentioned. I do not own one, but I've been around them.

Parrotlets are often not mellow at all, and of all the species you named, they're generally the most nippy, feisty, territorial, and most prone to plucking--especially the females.

Individuals will vary, but I would not recommend a p'let for anyone who wants a sweet bird. I own a sweet p'let, but I also own a vampire p'let, and I'm basing my opinion primarily on her, because I think she's actually the more typical one of the species:

http://forums.avianavenue.com/parrotlets-place/40786-nosferatu-eat-your-heart-out.html

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Cockatiels are great birds. They are generally very friendly and don't have a huge change in behavior when they reach sexual maturity as other species do. They are fun little characters. I would recommend a male as female tiels can have issues with excessive egg laying which can cause a lot of health problems.

Parrotlets are very different than cockatiels. They have very fiesty personalities. Females can especially be especially aggressive and can be very aggressive with other birds. They can also be very fun little birds. But they are definitely a difficult species.
And female p'let Maddie (RIP) was very needy. She was a velcro bird and always wanted to be with me.

Last edited:

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
P'lets are fun, feisty, cute and smart. BUT a lot are not cuddly birds. My P'let is sweet but on her terms. She enjoys hanging out with me and give me kisses but does not like to be pet or held in my hands. She will sit on my shoulder for hours though. I love P'lets but you have to be prepared for attitude and they can be nippy.

I do not have experience with Cockateils except to say they are loud, lol. My mom had them and she loved hers, but I could not deal with the noise.

I would also suggest a Lineolated Parakeet. I have one and they are awesome birds! They are smaller, quiet, smart, cuddly, silly and funny! My Sampson is my sweetest bird! Linnies are not known for being nippy or aggressive, they are great birds!

And a Green Cheek Conure is also a wonderful bird but I would suggest only keeping one if you want a big cuddler. I got a second Conure and my Angel bonded with him and is not cuddly anymore.

Of course all birds are individuals and you could get a super cuddly P'let or a Cockateil who is not a cuddler. You really never know.

Good luck in your search!

chere

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
cher
Have you thought about an English Budgie? They are not like their brothers/sisters of the American species. They are more laid back, love to hang out with you and can talk up a storm. They are stockier and have the cutest little faces.

cher

MBS

Jogging around the block
I absolutely adore parrotlets. They can be very cuddly and sweet, but they can be very feisty, aggressive, and nippy. It's hard to know what you'll get with a parrotlet, but I would bet on it being feisty, aggressive, and nippy even if it is very cuddly and sweet. It may not display all of these traits at the same time.

My experience out of the 4 that we have had in our home is that they can really vary with the amount of cuddliness and affection depending on how they were raised and how they are treated once they are a pet.

Two that we got at the same time from the same breeder were handfed, but not handled much so they were wild. One tamed down to being completely tame after a few months and the other was halfway to being really tame. They were both loud from day one, feisty, and aggressive (at certain times) even after taming down. They were a handful, but they could have been even more tame, and they could have settled down a lot more if they didn't pass away in an accident when they were both just over 1 year old. They lived in seperate cages and were both male.

We got another two males when the others died. Both were handraised and handtamed. We got them about 2 months apart, but from the same breeder. One we got was super sweet and tame, but he had his aggressive and feisty moments. We could hold him, cuddle, and pet him all the time. He was amazing. He talked, but he was quiet and didn't scream or chatter. He played a lot. He died of something a little over a month ago when he was a little over 5 months old. It was probably genetic since he had no infections according to tests done on him when he got sick. I miss him so very much, and he was such an intense sweetheart.

The other one that we got is still with us. He's just about 5 months old now. He's extremely tame, cuddly, and sweet. He still does have his feisty and nippy moments, but he's isn't really aggressive at all. You can hold him all day long. I am in love with this parrotlet. He's not loud at all, he talks and doesn't scream or chatter.

I took care of a 3 year old cockatiel female before. She was very sweet, loved attention, and scratches on the head. She didn't nip or bite, but maybe she tried. She would move her mouth in biting motions if she didn't like something. She would touch our hand with her beak this way, but it didn't remotely hurt. It seemed like she wasn't even making contact with our skin even though we could see that she was really "biting". She wasn't cuddly at least not yet since she didn't stay with us more than a couple of months. She was loud, but not so much in volume, but she would make high pitched noises all day long no matter what you did or didn't do. I've been told that females are rarely noisy and often they don't make sounds, but she sure wasn't typical in that department.

My grandmother had two cockatiels that I lived with for two years when I was young. They never made a peep and one was male and the other female. They weren't tame.

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
Parrotlets are a lot more high strung and active. So much attitude for such a tiny bird.. one might even be annoyed by the activity level and the feistiness. However, if you like attitude and energy in such a cute little fluffball, a parrotlet is great!

Cockatiels are generally a lot calmer, and mellower in needs and in activity level. Mine is content to just sit on my shoulder but doesn't like to be touched. Males whistle well, and can also scream at an irritable volume. Just because they are quieter compared to other parrots, doesn't mean that a cockatiel scream is pleasant.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I have both....My parrotlet is full of energy and crazy active. She is non stop playing and swinging and so fun to just watch. She can me nippy, but loves her skritches and quiet time too. Definitely not an "easy" bird.....

My cockatiel is older and very mellow. He is sooo sweet and affectionate. He does whistle a lot but I would definitely not call it loud...but then again I have conures, an amazon and an M2~ lol

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Cockatiels are sweet birds and both males and females can become quite cuddly. They are a good sized bird, easily handled and easily provided with cage and toys and playstands. My parrolet friends are much more moody, have a very strict sense of what should and should not happen and when they want it to happen. But they do have a huge personality and are not quite a bland as cockatiels. I have cockatiels and love them; I decided I did not need a parrolet.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
tiels are wonderful birdies and wonderful companions...our Sam is pretty nippy but we don't care..we love her to pieces...as for personality..they have personality plus plus...

Pumpkin

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tracy
They are both great pets. Depends on what you really want. Male Cockatiels can be very loud & Cockatiels can be very dusty. They are also very very sweet!

Parrotlet's are..well I have two. One talks a mean streak, so smart & so beautiful. My female is sweet as pie. They are both quiet & clean birds. But can they bite!! LOL

Two totally different types of birds. I have had both.

Status
Not open for further replies.