• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can Single green-winged macaw be a good Surrogate mother?

macawtw

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi everyone,I got a question. I have a pair of green-winged macaw they are mated and lay eggs.The problem is female won't hatch eggs.
The interesting thing is I have a single female macaw lays eggs and hatch unfertilized eggs. My question is the single green-winged macaw
can be a good surrogate mother to hatch eggs from others? Does Anyone have the same experience? Thank you.

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have seen this type of thing in budgies and cockatiels... No idea about macaws.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Most birds cannot differentiate between their own eggs and those of others (extensive research was done on this by Bert heinrich with Ravens. plus their are several species who purposely lay their eggs in another species' nest.

macawtw

Most birds cannot differentiate between their own eggs and those of others (extensive research was done on this by Bert heinrich with Ravens. plus their are several species who purposely lay their eggs in another species' nest.
Thank you for your replying. The question I have is the single female can hatch the eggs along? I use camera to monitor paired macaws.When the female hatch eggs and the male will come to nest to feed the female. I don't know if the single female who can hatch the eggs by herself? Anyone knows?Thank you.

macawtw

I have seen this type of thing in budgies and cockatiels... No idea about macaws.
Do you mean you put eggs from others to single budgies and cockatiels and eggs were hatched? Your reply is very helpful.Thank you.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you mean you put eggs from others to single budgies and cockatiels and eggs were hatched? Your reply is very helpful.Thank you.
I have a conure pair that I use to surrogate other conure eggs and they do an amazing job of it. I also move cockatiel eggs and chicks around between nest boxes. I have some cockatiel pairs that produce beautiful babies but are bad parents. I have no idea if a macaw will do it because they rely on the male to feed them while sitting and after the chicks hatch. You might be able to co-parent but it depends on how aggressive the female is. Luckily newly hatched macaws are pretty easy to feed from the time they hatch. You could do it yourself.

macawtw

I have a conure pair that I use to surrogate other conure eggs and they do an amazing job of it. I also move cockatiel eggs and chicks around between nest boxes. I have some cockatiel pairs that produce beautiful babies but are bad parents. I have no idea if a macaw will do it because they rely on the male to feed them while sitting and after the chicks hatch. You might be able to co-parent but it depends on how aggressive the female is. Luckily newly hatched macaws are pretty easy to feed from the time they hatch. You could do it yourself.
Hi there, Thank you for your replying. As you mentioned the macaws chicks is very easy to feed. I have many experience too feed from day-1. I put one egg to this Green winged macaw and she is doing good job now(see attached image). I check camera and found she will go out the nest for food and come can within 3 minutes. It shows no problem to hatch the egg by her own. Let's cross fingers and see how it goes. Thank you.

Attachments