• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can my parrot catch the flu?

faithapaul1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Faith Paul
Just went to the doctors and was tested for the flu. It came back positive for influenza A.

I’ve read online that birds are not succeptible to colds or flus so long as the infection is not bacterial.

I am confused though because I’ve also read that Influenza A is the avian flu and can infect birds as well.

I am sick so maybe I’m interpreting this information wrong, but if anyone had some advice I could really use it.

My green cheek conure was playing with me all day yesterday and it was only during the night time when I started to feel especially awful. I’m really worried I’m going to get him sick. I’m keeping my distance now, but still. I’m worried about previous interaction!

Thanks in advance everyone!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
When in doubt, don't give kisses and minimize contact when sick. Get your rest and you will heal and feel better in the next day or two.

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
Yes, get your rest, focus on healing and minimize contact but I know parrots need a lot of attention so if you need to handle him wash your hands before you do, avoid kisses, sneeze and cough in your elbow, and keeps your tissues out of reach and your parrot should be fine. :) Get well soon!