• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can my cockatiel eat parakeet food?

XII28

Moving in
Real Name
Melissa
My cockatiel is an extremely picky eater and I bought her a big bag of this cockatiel fruit mix but she hasn't touched it. I thought I'd try something new but accidentally purchased this parakeet fruit cocktail, I didn't realize it was for parakeets but it looked better than the fruit mix I bought for her before.

It's made by Vitakraft - sugar free.
It has cereals, seeds 10%, oils and fats, eggs and egg derivatives, minerals. Additives: contains colourings

I wanted to check if I can still give it to her instead of returning?

sootling

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
You can, but I don't recommend it. It's basically a bunch of carbs with little nutritional value.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The biggest difference is that the budgie foods are usually a lot heavier on the millet, whereas cockatiel mixes have much less millet and more of other stuff.

If you are feeding this as a little extra after the main pellet diet, I don´t see why it wouldn´t be ok. As an only food, I am not sure about that.
@Ripshod @Tiel Feathers

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
In the wild tiels and budgies have very similar diets. What's good for one is good for the other. The concern over the fruit is valid but if it's all she'll eat then offer some. I'd be tempted to pick out the fruit first though.
One point I'm going to make is a tiel won't starve itself. Use up that seed then get a quality seed mix without fruit. She'll ignore it at first, expecting you to replace it if she doesn't eat it. Don't back down - she will.
Incidentally the only seed mix I trust and use contains a little dried mango but the budgies eat around it. Smells great when I open that bag.
Have a good read around the food forum and the tiel forum. You'll see how easy it is to get a bird converted to a healthier diet.

C_Leigh

Walking the driveway
I feed my cockatiel budgie seed mix and budgie crumble.

I also give him a few other seeds I don't really let the budgies near like sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds.

Budgie and tiel diets are very similar, plenty of fresh veg, quality seed mix and pellets. A tiel just needs a bit more fat as a larger bird.

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
One point I'm going to make is a tiel won't starve itself.
I would disagree with this. If the parrot is an older bird and is only offered food it doesn't recognize, I think it could starve itself. I wouldn't attempt a cold turkey method on an old pet parrot for longer than a couple of hours in the morning.