• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Can mites spread????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Green_Ranger

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
So, I just found out Geronimo (parakeet) has mites or lice (I think it's mites). my dilemma is this...He's in a room with reptiles and rodents. Can he give it to everyone else???? Can they effect humans? I'll be taking him to the vet ASAP, but if he's going to infect everyone, I need to move him.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Just to be safe I would move him now till you know for sure.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
What type of mites? red mites, or feather mites? Red mites live and suck blood. feather mites are just a nuisence.

Most bird external parasites are speices specific...meaning just birds, not other types of animals or humans.

mariec

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Marie
Generally speaking your other animals will likely be fine, however extra care never hurt anyone! I would go ahead and isolate him till you see the vet.

Green_Ranger

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Srtiels- It's feather mites. I'd know that red stinkers if I saw them.

Thanks guys. I had to deal with lice on pet rats that I rescued, years ago. Used kitten revolution (vet recommended) and never had another problem:) Wish it was that easy with birds:p

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
began to notice little black dots on the usually white part of his head.
-------
From your other posting it sounds more like they are red mites. These can be a serious problem because they live on blood and can cause anemia, in addition to stress related secondary infection. Another possible side effect of a red mite attack can be a tapeworm infestation.

It is best to see a vet, to find what to treat with. And if red mites have the vet to check for anemia.

Green_Ranger

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I'm beginning to wonder if I just found a spider on the cage. It was nearly clear, a set of pincers, was nearly microscopic, and was moving VERY fast. Does that sound like a bug that would be on birds? He has no feather issues, isn't itching and when I looked him over, today, I saw no bugs or eggs anywhere on his feathers or skin. The "black dots" I thought I saw on his head, upon closer examination, are feathers coming in with black edges. I didn't notice it at the time, but the black dots are all in an exact curvature to eachother. What do you guys think?

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Wothout good, clear close-up pixs of what you are describing, it is hard to say what it is. I would suggest you have a vet check him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.