• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

can mineral block actually safe gor birds

monjur sayad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
monjur sayad
hellow
i heard minearel block and vitamin block actually not good for birds?because it contain plastar of paris,cement,zipsam etc. this element work like slow poison for birds.specially plastar of paris harm more for bird?is it true?if im not use minearel block only use eggshell powder,cattlefish bone,powder oyester shell can this item good source for calcium and mineral?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I never use them :)

The types of calcium in those is usually poor quality, and isn't easily absorbed by the body. I prefer to offer pellets and calcium rich foods.

Reactions: tka

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
I offer these. None of my birds have shown any interest, though Piper does use hers to wipe her beak clean after eating chop.

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
They contain plaster of Paris and cement?! I regularly work with both and I have to wear a mask lol! At least the mineral block is solid so it doesn't get up in the air too much but I'm still wary...

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
I offer these. None of my birds have shown any interest, though Piper does use hers to wipe her beak clean after eating chop.
I do business here as well. I've just put this item on my wish list.
:thanks:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If your birds are eating a healthy diet, then mineral blocks really aren't necessary... if they aren't on a healthy diet, then get them on a healthy diet!

Pipper

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Andy
I have that well known Pineapple mineral block product one sees at WalMart and a cuttlebone and while I have seen them at both it's the cuttlebone they use more often.

Also, their 3D Cockatiel and 3D Budgie seed mixes both include mini-pellets which they do eat all of when I check. I have a seperate bowl that I put Zupreem Fruit Flavor Pellets in after moistening them that I many bought to feed my Indian Ringneck. They do eat quite a bit of that too but mostly only after eating their seeds. Likewise, I given the Indian Ringneck the budgie & cockatiels seed mixes too and it prefers the seeds over pellets but only to a point. I eats about 50% seeds & 50% pellets.

The Indian Ringneck I keep caged separately from the budgies & cockatiels.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have mineral blocks in my cages, but I'm replacing them with the perches made out of bee pollen and calcium. The birds love them. My macaws have destroyed two of the large ones in the last year. A pair of conures have also gone through 2 small ones in the last year. The only ones who really seemed to enjoy the mineral blocks were the parrotlets and sun conures.