• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can Mating Behavior Determine Sex?

teachespet

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jessyca
Hi all,

My lovebird, Perseus (about 1 year old) displayed some mating behavior recently, and I am wondering if this can give me a definite answer on his sex.

He (?) Displayed the common female behavior of arching back/lifting tail and spreading wings. I know that some behaviors are exhibited by both male and female lovebirds, so just wanted to double check! He hasnt done any type of male mating behavior like regurgitating.

So what do y'all think--do I have a Perseus or a Persephone on my hands?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He (?) Displayed the common female behavior of arching back/lifting tail and spreading wings.
Did they hold the position like the females do? or did he just do it for a second or two?
My male Sydney will do it, but he doesn´t hold the position like the hens do (My bird is a Roseicollis lovebird)

bonjourtok

Meeting neighbors
I've had male lovebirds, macaws, and 'toos all do the tail lifting pose. Only the male lovebird turned out to be a humper, though. The only female bird I've had is a m2 and she never presented, just laid eggs annually.

teachespet

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jessyca
He definitely holds the position. Was doing it a lot last night when I was trying to get off the TV lol. I did see another response on a different forum that also said they had a DNA'd male who showed the presenting behavior.

I guess the only true way to know is a DNA test. =P

teachespet

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jessyca
And for the record, I have no other signs that made me think he was male, I just kinda picked a pronoun, haha.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I guess the only true way to know is a DNA test. =P
I, and I´m sure many others here, would be very interested to hear the results if you get your bird tested :yes3: