• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can lories and lorikeets chew thick wood? What type of toys are most suited to them?

Karnkate

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karnkate (Lookkaew/Crystal)
Something like thick pieces of pine or HUGE chunks of cork. Think of the toys Nutz sells. I imported toys and toy parts for my fids (p’lets and budgies) to grind down. One lady in the parrot circle who owns a lory (primarily red color with blue streak, I’m not sure of the species) took interest of my fids toys and asked if I could give her one. Definitely can and will! Got lots of unused and unexposed ones in the box. If it will make the lady discover a better way to enrich her lory.

I’m just not sure which should I give to the lory. Since its beak shape looks different than a typical parrot’s beak, and I never own a lory besides giving them nectar in a bird fair, can anyone here tell me what this red lory might like?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Oh, it's for a lady you know. When I read the title I was thinking:shocking:"Why does Karnkate want to know what kind of wood lorikeets like?" I thought I was going to see pics of a new bird! :naughty:

Let's see... @WallyLoopey and @TWR have Lorys and @Pipsqueak is fostering one.

Karnkate

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Oh, it's for a lady you know. When I read the title I was thinking:shocking:"Why does Karnkate want to know what kind of wood lorikeets like?" I thought I was going to see pics of a new bird! :naughty:

Let's see... @WallyLoopey and @TWR have Lorys and @Pipsqueak is fostering one.
Although they look like a nice addition to a family (who wouldn’t like a fun, colorful bird?) my dad absolutely hates the fact that they can shoot their poop at absurd angles and to absurd ranges, comparing to non-nectar eaters. The previous bird fair (last year) solidified his dislike when we passed by the Lories and Lorikeets Club and ALL of the members’ fids decided to do their unique screech. Hey, can’t blame them, the fair got lots of kids who wanted to help the members feed them nectar, they were probably really happy over that fact. The sound they make, however, was so irritable for my dad that he told me “don’t buy those birds....are those conures?”

No dad, those are Lories. And you are fine with a M2...

Last edited:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
No dad, those are Lories. And you are fine with a M2...
Really? :lolsign:

I get it though. We can handle Buzzard's scream & both goffins' different voices at their worst & we hardly even notice sweet Scotty's pretty voice anymore because we're so used to it, but we didn't last one week with a little brotogeris. :canthear:

Thankfully he found his forever home with the family next door. They love and spoil him and his voice doesn't bother them at all! Go figure.

Last edited:

Karnkate

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Really? :lolsign:

I get it though. We can handle Buzzard's scream & both goffins' different voices at their worst & we hardly even notice sweet Scotty's pretty voice anymore because we're so used to it, but we didn't last one week with a little brotogeris. :canthear:

Thankfully he found his forever home with the family next door. They love and spoil him and his voice doesn't bother them at all! Go figure.
How do you post the GIF? I was trying to post the Confused Nick meme but it says my file was too big...

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I just searched "nails chalkboard animated", went to the search engine's "Images" tab, copied & pasted. :shrug3: Trust me, if I'm doing it it can't be anything too advanced.

:dunce:
An actual image of me with computers