• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can I use these to mark lovebird babies so I know who’s who until they go to their new homes?

Hasrat1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hasrat Kaur
Hi!v I was wondering if these sharpies are safe to mark around the legs of baby lovebirds so that’s I know who is who! I’m usually really good at knowing but it gets really hard to know when they are the same mutation so to make things easier for me (gender testing and knowing who’s whop for medical reasons) can I use sharpies to mark them? I didn't get id rings this time around (there was delayed shipping so the chicks go way to old to put rings on) but I don’t want to hurt the babies or poison them…the Color will be removed before they go to their new homes so its just for a little while! IMG_0490.jpeg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I use Sharpie pens to mark eggs. (Has to be branded)

If you are going to use them, do not draw on their skin. Just mark right at the edge of a visible feather, not near the rachis. Justa little bit, a few dots.
You won't be able to get the colour off, but they will moult at 6-9 months anyway, this is their juvenile plumage, so explain it to anyone who takes a bird.

Hasrat1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hasrat Kaur
I use Sharpie pens to mark eggs. (Has to be branded)

If you are going to use them, do not draw on their skin. Just mark right at the edge of a visible feather, not near the rachis. Justa little bit, a few dots.
You won't be able to get the colour off, but they will moult at 6-9 months anyway, this is their juvenile plumage, so explain it to anyone who takes a bird.
Ok so i cant draw a ring around the leg And have to wait until they start to show feathers?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I would not.

How many chicks do you have? You will be able to track at first by weight.

Hasrat1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hasrat Kaur
I would not.

How many chicks do you have? You will be able to track at first by weight.
I have 4 and I know who is who for now just by looking at them! The 2 oldest are the same weight and the 2 youngest are also the same weight so that wouldn’t help that much

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Ok, while you can tell visually, wait. Once the feathers come in and open you can mark them.

I will tag @BrianB , maybe he will know if the Sharpie pen is safe on skin. I would personally avoid it though.

Hasrat1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hasrat Kaur
Ok, while you can tell visually, wait. Once the feathers come in and open you can mark them.

I will tag @BrianB , maybe he will know if the Sharpie pen is safe on skin. I would personally avoid it though.
ok then ill wait until they grow feathers the 2 oldest are starting to grow pin feathers so its not that long of a wait!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You can also usually tell the eldest by fether growth too :tup:

T. gillii

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Link
Have you considered a small amount of food dye maybe?

T. gillii

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Link
You can also usually tell the eldest by fether growth too :tup:
I am grateful that one of my girls has so much red, otherwise I think I would get pretty confused soon

Hasrat1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hasrat Kaur
Have you considered a small amount of food dye maybe?
I’m not sure I have anything strong enough to stain their legs tho and i tried staining their parents last clutches feathers and it turned brown for some reason (they were all green) and I couldn’t post them on a website I use for selling I kept getting flagged for trying to sell sick animals

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
We use non-toxic crayola markers but on colorful birds it’s not worth it. The sharpie markers will work if used on feathers only. I prefer small plastic leg bands for chickens. I keep a list of what color is on what bird and the sex/who is belongs to. They are easily snipped off with cat claw trimmers when the time comes.

Hasrat1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hasrat Kaur
We use non-toxic crayola markers but on colorful birds it’s not worth it. The sharpie markers will work if used on feathers only. I prefer small plastic leg bands for chickens. I keep a list of what color is on what bird and the sex/who is belongs to. They are easily snipped off with cat claw trimmers when the time comes.
Oh ok! As I said the oldest ones have gotten too big for leg bands and by the time I get the leg bands I ordered for them initially will also be to small fro the remaining 2…but ill mark them with sharpie under their wings when their feathers grow out! But can I ask why sharpie only works on the feathers and not skin? Is it a toxic issue if so wouldn’t it be equally bad to put it on their feathers? (Not trying to be rude i just want to learn the reasoning behind it)

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh ok! As I said the oldest ones have gotten too big for leg bands and by the time I get the leg bands I ordered for them initially will also be to small fro the remaining 2…but ill mark them with sharpie under their wings when their feathers grow out! But can I ask why sharpie only works on the feathers and not skin? Is it a toxic issue if so wouldn’t it be equally bad to put it on their feathers? (Not trying to be rude i just want to learn the reasoning behind it)

There are the leg bands that I use. They are spiral plastic bands, and you can get them in different sizes and colors. They are easy to put on and take off, and best of all they are temporary.

Plastic Leg Bands

As for the Sharpie markers, you can use them on feathers and the marking will go away when the feathers are replaced. The manufacturer says they are non-toxic, but they don't recommend letting them come into contact with your mouth. They also smell terrible. So, if you shouldn't put it in your mouth, and you wouldn't want to write on yourself with it, then why put it on your bird's skin?